Author Topic: Interstellar  (Read 2457 times)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
Interstellar
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:07:15 AM »
Since no one else started a thread.

I really enjoy just about all of Christopher Nolan's movies (except for the last batman movie) and this one didn't disappoint. More intense than I expected, though. And how could they not use Queen's '39 for the ending credits, wtf?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Interstellar
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 05:37:11 AM »
Dug the movie.  Wife too.  Awesome!  Big screen only.

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:47 AM »
Omg, and I just realized that even the "letters in the sand" is in both the movie and the queen song.

"All your letters in the sand, cannot heal me like your hand. For my life, still ahead, pity me."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »
can't wait to see this. maybe next weekend.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »
I saw it yesterday.  70mm IMAX.  I can't imagine seeing it another way (2 locations in Chicago Jake!).  I haven't decided what I think about it.  The acting, visuals, and sound were all excellent.  Beyond excellent.  I'm not sure what I thought of the script though.  There were some things that didn't make sense (not the science stuff - more basic), and it just seemed to be beating me over the head...that said - it's ability to evoke emotion was top notch.  Good.  7.5/10
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:00:26 PM »
Lucky. The nearest 70mm IMAX for me is in Seattle, which is about 5 hours away.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »
We just joined the Cleveland science center as members with the Omnimax membership.  It's 70mm and it's pretty amazing.  We saw a show a few weeks ago and there's a new panda show coming out soon we're going to see.  It's a pretty amazing experience.  And the cool part is that when you're waiting to go in the theatre, the entire reel room is viewable through a glass wall.  The equipment takes up this whole entire room behind the theatre and it raises up into position to play the actual movie.  Pretty impressive stuff.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »
Does that mean that the screen is 70 millimeters? Cause that's kinda small.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »
I am with Kermi on this one.  Saw it in IMAX.  Was a beautiful movie.  Serious plot issues for me. Some of them in the fiction side of the science only where it didn't tie logically to the narrative.  I can suspend reality for fantasy, but for example if you show me a Troll in a movie and tell me (in the movie) he cannot flap his arms and fly, and then he flaps his arms and flies without any further explanation.... well, that is stupid.

Little bit of a SPOILER below:

Only wheat, okra, and corn?  What about every other staple food?  Where is the livestock?  Everybody is a vegetarian in the future? There is no dust in Hawaii. People can't live in Hawaii even? The radius of the ship at the end was too small (e.g. the baseball hitting the window).  So many more issues...
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Maybe Hawaii is underwater.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
That is only a small example. Point being, dust wouldn't be everywhere. Blight doesn't affect everything. No poi? No bananas? Potatoes? Rice? The reasons for leaving earth were weak.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
Maybe. But it was an understood premise of the movie. It could have been anything--something ridiculous like finding out that an aliens launched the sun closer and closer to us and we needed to leave in x number of years. The point was that we "needed to leave" in x number of years.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
I get what you are saying. I just came away feeling like the plot was off for some reason. Maybe I was having a bad night.