Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: AAAAAAyy Eye
« Last post by ober on March 18, 2024, 03:14:56 PM »
We are starting to do some small things but the focus is on other higher priorities at the moment where I work.  Honestly I'm kind of worried about it.  Our churn is higher than normal and I think it's because we've lost our edge on the competition and people are catching up while we try to do some rebuilding.
Open Discussion / Re: AAAAAAyy Eye
« Last post by Mike on March 18, 2024, 12:56:06 PM »
> With the leaps and bounds that AI has been making how are your companies preparing for the looming AI revolution? are you talking about it at all? are you ahead of it?

The education space is freaking out about this. It has calmed down a bit but still there. What has been a biggest challenge are services that roll out experimental AI without us knowing about it or giving us time to set up controls.

> And what about you personally? It seems that AI could be competition for many white collar jobs in the next few years?

Honestly, for me personnally and for my team I'm not worried. Generating code is only one small part of the work and from what I've seen from gen AI it still has a long way to go before it replaces any but the most simplistic of tasks.

What I'm actually hoping for is more AI development outside of Gen AI. For example, I really want some good AI tools that'll let me provide a bunch of data about student performance and have it help me figure out which ones are good indicators that a student needs more assistance. For me, that's the dream; use AI to help the humans.
Open Discussion / AAAAAAyy Eye
« Last post by Jake on March 18, 2024, 12:28:54 PM »
With the leaps and bounds that AI has been making how are your companies preparing for the looming AI revolution? are you talking about it at all? are you ahead of it?

And what about you personally? It seems that AI could be competition for many white collar jobs in the next few years?

Have you been discussing this with your families? if so, are you taking this into account when advising your kids regarding course selections and career paths?
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / Re: New Camera!
« Last post by Mike on March 18, 2024, 12:00:24 PM »
Good to know.  I used to have a separate camera but our phones take 'good enough' pics now.

I still like my DSLR for particular types of photography. But for the rest, yeah I use the cell phone and am constantly surprised how good it is.
« Last post by Jake on March 18, 2024, 11:52:20 AM »
the only time I use my Sony A6000 is when I need my long lens - and that is for the kiddos sporting events. Otherwise, it is all phone.
« Last post by Jake on March 18, 2024, 11:48:02 AM »
Wow, it is hard to believe there is still a digital camera market out there - but I guess it has shifted wildly and that is why the price is what it is because it is not geared towards the casual picture taker.

Show us some pictures!
« Last post by ober on March 18, 2024, 11:41:07 AM »
Good to know.  I used to have a separate camera but our phones take 'good enough' pics now.
Photography/Video/Movies & TV / New Camera!
« Last post by hans on March 17, 2024, 09:50:26 AM »
So I recently went on vacation for a week with my in-laws down in FL and decided to buy a new camera for traveling with. I’d been watching videos about street photography and stuff and come across the Ricoh GR III series cameras. They have a 28mm and 40mm (x) version and after watching lots of videos and looking at my preference in my Sony setup I opted for the 40mm GR IIIx.

What a great little travel camera. It’s an APS-C sensor and the images are really nice out of it. It’s super compact and fits in my pants pocket or hoodie easily and starts up super fast to grab some interesting shots just walking around. It’s definitely geared towards street photos since the auto focus in wide mode doesn’t do nearly as well as modern stuff, but you can tap the focus point on the screen and it’s fine, or use what they dub as ‘snap’ focus with a preset focus distance. While I am not great at judging distances for that, it’s probably the best way to use this camera quickly.

For most stuff, I find 40mm to be pretty close to what I’m seeing, but I did notice that the FOV was a little bit more narrow due to how I ended up using the camera. While holding a camera up with a viewfinder is pretty close to 40mm I found myself holding this one a foot or so away to frame the shot using the screen which ends up cutting some of the FOV.

It’s kind of spendy so probably not a go-to for a general purpose camera, but if you’re into photography it’s worth looking into, at least to know about.
Open Discussion / Re: Stickers online?
« Last post by ober on February 22, 2024, 07:57:52 AM »
Redbubble seems to have a lock on it but that's just selling them - you still need to do the design.  If you're looking for a design tool I don't have a suggestion.
Open Discussion / Stickers online?
« Last post by hans on February 22, 2024, 12:22:43 AM »
I want to make some stickers. Anyone have suggestions on which site to use?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10