Author Topic: Little vacation  (Read 2267 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Little vacation
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:43 PM »
Went to Pittsburgh this weekend to hang out for the weekend with most of my family.  I actually like Pittsburgh and I think I could see myself living there if I needed to.  Very cool town and really nice and clean.  By the way, I really recommend doing the Duck Tours if you visit a city that has them.  I've been on one in Philly and Pittsburgh and they're a blast!

Also, random side note, if you go to Pittsburgh and don't want to spend $450 to stay somewhere downtown, I can vouch for the Hampton Inn just north of town.  Very clean/modern.. maybe I just give props for having power and USB slots on the nightstand so I don't have to unplug a bunch of shit to charge my stuff!!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Little vacation
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:39:05 AM »
I've heard lots of good things about Pittsburgh, I'd totally go for a long weekend there or more.  I would love to see a baseball game there, for sure.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »
All kidding aside.  I wouldn't mind visiting myself.  I would have to research where to stay, visit, and what to do.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »
I can offer some suggestions if you want when I have a little more time.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
OK, I have a few minutes and I'm at my computer instead of on my phone:

1) Do the Duck Tours, fun and entertaining and you see a lot of the city.
2) Duqesne Incline.  Avoid it.  Requires exact change that forced me to use a change machine on a $20 bill.  It's hot as fuck in the cars and almost nothing to do at the top.  The only redeeming quality is the view from the top of the mountain.
3) If you book far enough in advance, stay in the Sheraton at Station Square.  Lots to do right there and it's quick access to the rest of the city.  We stayed north of the city this time which wasn't bad either and probably cheaper.
4) I would like to see a Pirates game but we didn't (they were out of town).  ESPN rated it the best park to see a game in because no one is more than 88 feet from the field and it's just a nice park in general.
5) Pointe Park (I think that's the name).  Park at the Three Rivers that is beautiful and has a 150 ft. water fountain down next to the water.
6) PPG Place (a series of buildings that looks like a castle made of black ice images).  Very cool and there is a nice water fountain thing that turns into an ice rink in the winter.  Right next to there is an open plaza with a bunch of restaurants.  My brother recommends Permanti Bros. for some good food.  I haven't eaten there personally.
7) Frick park was pretty cool but probably not so much without small kids.
8) We went to the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Garden.  It was mediocre.  Probably better than Cleveland's, but certainly no Longwood.  Some of the areas were closed because of a wedding.  That sucked.

I think that's probably about it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Thanks.

BTW Permanti Bros sucks.  We have been to one and the best part was getting up and leaving half of the shitty food.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
Oh man, I miss Pittsburgh. I think if I were to live there right now, I'd love Shadyside or South Side. Probably a little farther out if I had a family.

>1) Do the Duck Tours, fun and entertaining and you see a lot of the city.
Meh. Actually, I can't judge. I never did one. And I guess I had close to 5 years exploring to see the city.

>2) Duqesne Incline.  Avoid it.  Requires exact change that forced me to use a change machine on a $20 bill.  It's hot as fuck in the cars and almost nothing to do at the top.  The only redeeming quality is the view from the top of the mountain.
Drive the incline. It's a lot of fun.  Eat at restaurant up there.

>3) If you book far enough in advance, stay in the Sheraton at Station Square.  Lots to do right there and it's quick access to the rest of the city.  We stayed north of the city this time which wasn't bad either and probably cheaper.
This really depends on what you want to do in Pittsburgh. I don't think I would have ever recommended Station Square to stay at, but I've never really been a tourist.

>4) I would like to see a Pirates game but we didn't (they were out of town).  ESPN rated it the best park to see a game in because no one is more than 88 feet from the field and it's just a nice park in general.
Pirates games are cheap and awesome and have lots of free stuff or fireworks and a view of the rivers.

>5) Pointe Park (I think that's the name).  Park at the Three Rivers that is beautiful and has a 150 ft. water fountain down next to the water.
I'm glad that's open again.

>6) PPG Place (a series of buildings that looks like a castle made of black ice images).  Very cool and there is a nice water fountain thing that turns into an ice rink in the winter.  Right next to there is an open plaza with a bunch of restaurants.  My brother recommends Permanti Bros. for some good food.  I haven't eaten there personally.
Primanti's is okay. PPG is okay. Better food can be found but Primanti's is pretty iconic. The Strip on a Saturday morning is good. Church Brew Works is bomb. And Mad Mex. And Oh Yeah!

>7) Frick park was pretty cool but probably not so much without small kids.
I spent all my time in Schenley. I can't comment about the Frick, but historically it's supposed to be great.

>8) We went to the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Garden.  It was mediocre.  Probably better than Cleveland's, but certainly no Longwood.  Some of the areas were closed because of a wedding.  That sucked.
Phipps has nice Chihuly work that was really popular when it was first added. It is definitely not a huge place. I drew some plants in there several times.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:21:08 AM »
Thanks Jen.

When I traveled more often I always made an effort to seek out botanical gardens.  Longwood is tops.  There is one near Chesapeake airport that is really nice (smaller) also.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:01 AM »
A lot of food that is "iconic" for a city isn't that good.  If they're not really fancy they seem to tilt more towards the "drunk food" scene.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
We are starting to think any joint that has been on The Food Channel is a POS.

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
I think most restaurants that have been on Food Network/Channel just "bribed" them to show them.  So as long as the restaurant/owner some deep pockets, they'll show them off.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
I think most restaurants that have been on Food Network/Channel just "bribed" them to show them.  So as long as the restaurant/owner some deep pockets, they'll show them off.

+1

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
Whhhhaaaaaaatttt?  You mean those shows aren't the bastions of journalistic integrity that I thought they were?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:01 AM »
When any of those shows do something about Detroit they will hit, without fail

1) Slow's BBQ (good, but not even close to the best around. fucking godawful service)
2) American and Lafayette Coneys (good drunk food after a game)
3) Hamtramck for pierogies
4) Dearborn for Middle Eastern food

And then they'll talk about how tough Detroit is and how resilient the people are and they'll show someone's urban farm or art installation and end on an optimistic note.

I'm pretty sure I just wrote an episode of whatever show Anthony Bourdain is doing now.  He's already made this one at least twice.