Author Topic: recommend a Podcast  (Read 1919 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
recommend a Podcast
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:50:48 PM »
Can you guys recommend any podcasts and why?

I recently won an iPad mini and so far I don't like it too much but could use it to listen to podcasts....so I am looking for suggestions since there is so many of them!!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: recommend a Podcast
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
NPR Planet Money
Invisibilia
Freakonomics
NPR This American Life
The Moth
Radiolab from WNYC

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:17:55 PM »
Thanks knuckle. I listen to TAL pretty regularly on the radio, so this will be nice for missed episode. I already downloaded a few radio labs....love that show when I can catch it on npr.

I will look into the other ones you have recommended.

Also downloaded criminal and serial and a few how stuff works
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »
I enjoy just about everything knuck put up, so second all that...I also do the ESPN podcasts - Around the Horn and PTI primarily.

Some others:

Serious second to Planet Money
How to Do Everything
The Moth
Still Untitled - The Adam Savage Project
Stuff You Should Know
How to do Everything

Also - I don't really recommend iOS's native podcast app.  It's not great, and they haven't really tried to improve it because there are some really really fine podcast apps out there.  Overcast hit with a big splash a few months back.  https://overcast.fm/ It's free with paid features - I bought the whole thing - I see why people like it - it's really good for podcast discovery it.  It's not for me though - one nice thing about it is that in an effort increase podcasts in general, the app provides links to all of it's competitors that have a slightly different take on the podcater. 

I've been using Downcast for several years now - I REALLY wanted to like Overcast, but I navigated back to Downcast.  It's a bit grittier, but lets me do a bit more fine tuning - plus it's just more comfy for me.   http://www.downcastapp.com/ Highly recommended.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »
I use the default app and I recommend the podcasts the others have mentioned.  To add to the list:

RISK (NSFW storytelling)
NPR - Snap Judgement (storytelling)
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (NPR News quiz)
WTF - Marc Maron (celebrity/music interviews)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
NERDIST!  How could I forget that one!  Not dissimilar to WTF.  Very good.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
So when do you guys generally listen to pod casts?  Just on your commute to/from work, or do you have down time at some other point in your day?

I could see myself getting into a podcast driving to/from work, although I usually just listen to the local news & weather talk show.  Once I'm at work I listen to music or nothing because its hard to work if you're listening to someone talk in your ear and at home I'm always busy up until bed time.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »
I listen to podcasts/audiobooks whenever I'm alone and not engaged in some sort of verbal task (i.e. reading/writing).  Commuting, eating an olive, striking a match, chasing horses, blending Android devices, sterilizing goats, painting corn, dissecting cotton balls, inspecting hospital door knobs , chores, cooking, exercising, or wanking some place.  Also often something I've heard before or only care about a little while I'm falling asleep.  They're basically the soundtrack to my solitary existence.   :|
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:52:32 PM by KnuckleBuckett »

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »
Sounds interesting though.  It really does.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:57:12 PM »
It's a commute thing for me. I have an hour each way so I consume a lot of podcasts per week.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 04:45:03 PM »
Kermi does cooler stuff than you do. 

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:17:14 PM »
It's true, it's not everyone who can inspect hospital door knobs.  It takes special training and certification.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »
I spend a lot of time in the car and talk radio sucks in the middle of the day. Chicago's NPR station does not play the programs I like anymore and need something to listen to. These podcasts will do the trick.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
This.  It isn't free unless you sign up for a free trial.... but what a great listen.

http://www.audible.com/pd/History/The-Other-Side-of-History-Daily-Life-in-the-Ancient-World-Audiobook/B00DDVPXJG