Author Topic: All about that bass  (Read 2617 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
All about that bass
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
I need some interwebs help here. Perhaps some of you are familiar with a recent song "All about that bass". It's a catchy tune and trying to figure out what the sample is that's being used during the chorus. It's sounds very familiar but I just can't place where I've heard it or what I'm thinking it sounds like.

Here's the video, the chorus in question is at the 45 sec mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7PCkvCPvDXk#t=45
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: All about that bass
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 12:24:14 AM »
Oh and I apologize if you haven't heard it before and now can't get it out of your head.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »
Sigh...I liked that.  It made me lol.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »
By "sample" do you just mean what the main melody sounds like? (not that I can actually answer your question)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 02:06:25 AM »
Yup. I still haven't figured it out. I want to say it's an 80s or 90s tune but it might be older.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Reminded me of another song I can't stand - Fergie, Big Girls Don't Cry.

But it could be just be the timbre of their voice - sounds almost the same to me.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:31 PM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:13:02 PM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
On a side rant, it bothers me a bit that many folks are picking this song apart for various reasons (mostly size shaming). It's a song. Get over it. You don't have to agree with it or like it. And if we're going to start picking on artists for the content of their music I really don't want to be listening to that kind of music. And there are far better songs to complain about than a candy pop song about having a bigger booty. :rant over:

It's also amusing to see many of the covers focusing on the "bass" of the song which I'm hoping they understand has nothing to do with melodic bass notes. If anything we should see more Sir Mix-a-lot style covers.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc9MzCcmNCU

The one micah posted is more my forte'.  As far as picking the song apart and stuff... I am self-taught in "stop being angry about music."  I listened to it... gave it a chance.  It isn't something I would normally listen to, but it has a catchy hook and a decent overall meaning in the "big is beautiful too" sense of things.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
Also, I started internet stalking the girl in the version I posted. She's simply delightful: https://soundcloud.com/katedavismusic/movie#t=0:03
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:25:42 PM »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.