Author Topic: holy fargo  (Read 3832 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
holy fargo
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:14:50 AM »
Great new show on FX - get into it now!!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: holy fargo
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
Have you guys seen this show yet? It is the best that is on TV right now imo
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:57:51 AM by Jake »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:54:12 PM »
Only cause Cosmos is over :(

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
Only cause Cosmos is over :(

ya know, I really liked the first few episodes but then it got political and that ruined it for me.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:24 PM »
I hear what you're saying, although I don't think they're being political as much as they are just addressing generally controversial topics from a scientific standpoint. There's certainly an anti-religion vibe and of course they talk about global warming like it's settled science (which it pretty much is), but that's not being political, that's just providing current scientific understanding without holding back. I haven't watched all the episodes so perhaps there are other instances I haven't seen, though.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
yeah, I was mostly ok with the anti-religious aspect because it came across as tolerant of history's ignorance, in a sort of "you can't blame people for not understanding" kinda way which I didn't mind.  I personally think that science and religion can overlap without one having to try to disprove the other.  The problem that usually comes up is when those in the scientific community use history against their perceived opponents as a straw man to defend modern topics that may still be debatable.  Its similar to that argument that goes something like: "50 years ago people were racist and now realize they were wrong so today you have to accept homosexuality as normal or else you're as bad as those racists."   But instead its: "400 years ago the catholic church thought the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the pope; so if your pro-life or pro-family you're just as dumb as they were."  Again, I think Cosmos handles this fairly tactfully, although, while that sentiment is not  stated, it is easily inferred and I think purposely so.

Anyway, it was the episode on lead that really turned me off.  That's when the show stopped being about the cosmos and showed its hand; that it had an agenda.  They used the case of history's "science deniers" and their acceptance of lead as a safe chemical as an allegory for the global warming debate.   Evil companies lobbying against the undeniable scientific truth; showing that the populace was ignorant and on the wrong side.  The implication, though not implicitly stated, is that if you doubt global warming, you're on the wrong side of history just like those lead-loving dopes of the early 20th century.  (and just like 16th century church for that matter.)

edit: but I heard Fargo is really good.  my father-in-law was visiting last weekend and he couldn't stop talking about it.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
The lead episode was awesome.  It was a very interesting story and one example (of quite a few) showing the importance of maintaining your position when it is supported by the data.

If you haven't watched the climate change episode please do so.  They do a really good job of laying out what CO2 does, the natural processes involved, how scientists have determined that the amount is rising, how it can't be attributed to normal variation/processes, and the difference between weather and climate.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
The implication, though not implicitly stated, is that if you doubt global warming, you're on the wrong side of history just like those lead-loving dopes of the early 20th century.  (and just like 16th century church for that matter.)

Everything you said seems pretty reasonable, except I don't get this part. It's pretty clear now that if you doubt global warming, you are on the wrong side of history. So what's the problem with saying so? Remember the show is providing the perspective of science, and the scientific community is pretty unified on the basic premises of global warming.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »
Fargo is good as heck.  It's very good and you should watch it.  I didn't watch Cosmos but my wife liked it.  I like Fargo.

edit: It starts slow but give it 2-3 episodes
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:04:22 AM by Govtcheez »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 09:09:53 AM »
What's the premise?  Watching the previews I could never figure out what the fucking premise was.  Which is why I never started watching it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
Cold people murder each other.  Fish fall from the sky. Tom Hanks's kid is a cop.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
Cold people murder each other.  Fish fall from the sky. Tom Hanks's kid is a cop.

on top of that it is made very well.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »
The fact that it makes me long for winter should be enough of an endorsement

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 05:06:38 PM »
I really wish I could watch this again for the first time.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 11:15:08 PM »
I really wish I could watch this again for the first time.

They are doing another season I hear. Whole new story, different plot/characters, yet still somehow relating to the first season. They had a story about this type of show, but I forget what they called it.

I also have the entire season still on my DVR! Come over next week and we'll have a Fargo themed party  :suicide2: