Author Topic: Only 9 more days until...  (Read 4862 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Only 9 more days until...
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
...Cuba!! We got an awesome deal, $700 total (aero-fare, all-inclusive hotel, taxes) for one week in Varadero. The hotel and surrounding beach looks awesome and we're close enough to Havana to make a day trip.

:woot:

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Only 9 more days until...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:27:45 AM »
I can't wait until we can go there

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:33:28 AM »
I can't wait until we can go there
  You mean as part of an invading force?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
Since I've only travelled internationally on orders I have no idea of the answer so...

Could a US citizen travel to Canada and from there go to Cuba or is there something in place to stop that?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
I think it'd raise red flags but I'm sure it's possible.  When I was looking for places to go on my honeymoon all my Canadian friends were telling me to go to Toronto and fly to Cuba from there

Even if you did it I'm sure you'd want to avoid getting your passport stamped unless you don't plan on travelling again anytime soon

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
Yeah, you'd definately be facing some tough questions if a US passport guy saw a big fat Cuba stamp in your passport. You could even face whatever penalty is in place for violating trade embargos. If you drive accross the boarder you may be able to get away with it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »
Passport card FTW!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
I think it'd raise red flags but I'm sure it's possible.  When I was looking for places to go on my honeymoon all my Canadian friends were telling me to go to Toronto and fly to Cuba from there

Even if you did it I'm sure you'd want to avoid getting your passport stamped unless you don't plan on travelling again anytime soon
Is stamping optional?

Yeah, you'd definately be facing some tough questions if a US passport guy saw a big fat Cuba stamp in your passport. You could even face whatever penalty is in place for violating trade embargos. If you drive accross the boarder you may be able to get away with it.
Heh, fly to a border state, drive over the border, fly to cuba, enjoy, fly back, drive back over the border, and fly back home :P

Passport card FTW!
Not valid for air travel.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:04 PM »
>Is stamping optional?

Definately not. But if you have $50 tucked into the stamping page of your passport you may get in without a stamp, you'd have to do the same to get out. So you'd either end up with a paradise vacation or jail in a foreign country.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:52 PM »

I don't even think you need a passport to enter Canada
from the U.S.

No, you don't. But you do to get to Cuba and you'd get a stamp there. Then the problem is that you can never use your passport again!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »

Is stamping optional?

from the U.S.
Not by car yet, but you do for air travel.  You'll need a passport to drive over next summer, but that keeps getting pushed back

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »

Is stamping optional?

from the U.S.
Not by car yet, but you do for air travel.  You'll need a passport to drive over next summer, but that keeps getting pushed back
You sure?  I remember hearing stories about kids trying to drive down to mexico for spring break that had trouble because they didn't have a passport (I can't remember if it was when they tried to enter mexico or when they tried to return).

>Is stamping optional?

Definately not. But if you have $50 tucked into the stamping page of your passport you may get in without a stamp, you'd have to do the same to get out. So you'd either end up with a paradise vacation or jail in a foreign country.
That's what I thought.

from the U.S.

No, you don't. But you do to get to Cuba and you'd get a stamp there. Then the problem is that you can never use your passport again!

Why couldn't you use your passport again? It's not
illegal for US Citizens to travel to Cuba; only to spend
money there.

There is also a travel embargo.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »

Is stamping optional?

from the U.S.
You sure?  I remember hearing stories about kids trying to drive down to mexico for spring break that had trouble because they didn't have a passport (I can't remember if it was when they tried to enter mexico or when they tried to return).

its true. Any government issued photo ID is sufficient right now. But they are saying it will be passport only soon.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 12:58:24 PM »
Passport card FTW!
Not valid for air travel.

Yeah, I meant for re-entry to the US from Canada over land when your real passport has Cuba stamped on it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »
> You sure?  I remember hearing stories about kids trying to drive down to mexico for spring break that had trouble because they didn't have a passport (I can't remember if it was when they tried to enter mexico or when they tried to return).

I don't know about Mexico but I'm sure for Canada.  To drive across right now, you need ID and proof of citizenship, but it can be a birth certificate or something else.  Starting next summer you need a passport.