Author Topic: Going Car Shopping  (Read 3808 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Going Car Shopping
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:28:09 PM »
So we have a Rav4 that the lease runs out on next April.  We're starting to look at cars now and we're trying to narrow it down.  We actually have someone watching the kids on saturday and we're going to go and actually look at some so I'm looking for recommendations.

We'll be looking at mini-vans, CUVs and small to mid-size SUVs.  Used and new.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Going Car Shopping
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
I'm really enjoying my Journey.  Even with five people in it didn't seem tight and still drove nicely.  The kids love the rear video system.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »
Jetta TDI
http://www.vw.com/jettasportwagen/en/us/?tab=tdi

We have had the 2004 Golf (which is the hatchback version -smaller) with the TDI 60K miles.  Been driving it from home to Frederick.  You know the drive.  Laura is giving it a 10/10.  Plenty of power, 40+MPG.  Room enough in the "trunk" to carry four tires without dropping the rear seat(s).  She travels all week and still has about a quarter tank to spare.  It is fun to drive too.  Nimble as all get out. 

Check into them.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »
We have a Jetta wagon (2004). The leg room is bad. With two car seats in the back, I have to drive with my knees in my chest. You're taller than me. This would not be good.

I don't know if the newer model Jettas have better leg room (the problem is with the back seat leg room), but since you have two small kids as well, make sure you check that in every car you look at.

We were looking at the Mazda 5 as an interesting mini-minivan. Never got to the point of test driving it or anything, but it got good reviews: http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/mazda5/2009/review.html
It's therefore best to think of the 5 as a good car for families with one or two small children that occasionally need room for the neighbor's kids or enough cargo space for trips to grandma's house.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »
toyota highlander...newer models are much roomier.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:38:02 AM »
toyota highlander...newer models are much roomier.

Yeah the Mazda 5 that was what I was thinking about.

If the Jetta Wagon is too small (yes they are bigger these days) try the TDI Passat Wagon.  Talk to Brett.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ctd/1331538272.html

How about this?  This would have been near or at the top of our list if she wasn't driving 100+ miles every day.  Known for extremely low customer issues and complaints.  Safe, quiet, decent mileage, great resale, comfy, and plenty of storage.  Plus, it is a nice ride.  Also FWIW parts and service aren't much more than a standard Toyota product.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
Not sure I want a car that is 7 years old.  That's a good deal though.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
Ford Escape
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:12:08 PM »
Ford Escape
I've got a 2009 Escape.  It is great because it's free.  I can't imagine that there arent' better small SUVs out there for the price though

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »
Ford Escape
I've got a 2009 Escape.  It is great because it's free.  I can't imagine that there arent' better small SUVs out there for the price though

One thing i will say for MI is escapes should be on the state flag lol. Mines an '02 with ~ 80k on it and i got it for $4200. I dunno what the new ones roll out at, but i love this thing. And if you need to get agressive with it they are suprisingly hard to roll.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
Not sure I want a car that is 7 years old.  That's a good deal though.

Take note of the relative quality of the product line.  I emailed you examples local to you.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »
Not to steal the thread, but does anyone know about hybrids?  We're considering the Insight or Prius but CARS ends on Monday so we need to make some quick decisions.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 06:28:32 PM »
Not to steal the thread, but does anyone know about hybrids?  We're considering the Insight or Prius but CARS ends on Monday so we need to make some quick decisions.

I know several people with Priuses (Prii?) who love them.

Sight lines aren't great, but overall space is pretty good. Car drives fine and is a Toyota so is reliable.

I almost bought one when we got our Jetta wagon. I regret it a bit, but we did save several thousand dollars so I can't be too unhappy.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
Well the Insight starts a lot cheaper than the Prius.  We just got a quote for $20,700 for the EX model and might be able to haggle down at another dealership.  If you subtract 4500 for CARS and another 3000 from the BoA Hybrid vehicle reimbursement program, you get one really good deal.