Author Topic: hacked  (Read 2538 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
hacked
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
I feel like an idiot for making such a simple mistake, but there's something redeeming about admitting it here...

I made a website for a small business last spring.  This morning I got an e-mail from the guy saying his site was hacked.  At first I thought he was jumping to conclusions after some down time but no, sure enough, all of the content of his site had been replaced with some scrip-kiddie hacker message and the CMS I built him was deleted.

I contacted the host to get any info they had on what happened and they quickly narrowed it down to a plugin that I had installed and never configured to keep secure.  Son of a bitch!  All I needed was one line of code to lock it down but I hadn't done it and sure enough, some foreign douche bag hacked the site.

Luckily there was zero sensitive information on the site and I was able to restore and patch it quickly enough. The client was happy with my response time and doesn't seem to feel it was my fault (sigh of relief).  But still, I feel both embarrassed and a little violated.

Wont make that mistake again.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Re: hacked
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:36 PM »
Damn... nice recovery though.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein