Author Topic: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!  (Read 79420 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: fat burner
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 07:57:23 AM »
see i figured my calories were probably through the roof, but im only average about 1500-2000 a day. Guess i was lower than i thought. Got some room to bump up
Yeah, definitely.  5-6 low carb, high protein meals of 500 calories a day.  With a job like yours I'd be bulking up big time.  Pick up some whey protein and creatine.  Immediately after your workout, mix two scoops of whey, a teaspoon of the creatine, and 12 oz of water or milk.  If you've got a blender I'd do it in that.  It'll get you 340 calories and about 50+ grams of protein right away.  If you're using a blender you can throw in a banana or some dry oats for extra calories and good carbs (important post-workout for recovery)

> I guess you could count the odd Gatorade as well.

Drink Gatorade as little as possible.  It's almost as bad as soda for you.  If you really can't stand to drink plain water, over here we've got little flavoring pouches that you can drop in to the water that only add about 10 calories.  That's what I'd do.

> Also found this...it's a good read...http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/a/abmyths.htm

:)
There was a really really good article I read last week about getting a six pack.  Even though you said you don't want one, it'll be the same principles.  I'll see if I can find it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:48:31 AM by Govtcheez »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: fat burner
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 08:13:53 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/fitness2.html

This is a good FAQ that everyone interested should read.  It's written by a guy from the weightlifting forum at SomethingAwful, which is where I've been getting most of my information.  That, exrx, fitday, and www.t-nation.com have been very helpful resources.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Cool, ill have to read those =]
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Drink Gatorade as little as possible.  It's almost as bad as soda for you.  If you really can't stand to drink plain water, over here we've got little flavoring pouches that you can drop in to the water that only add about 10 calories.  That's what I'd do.

I don't mind water, I'm fine with it. Per 100ml its 25Cal, so in a normal 600ml bottle it's 150 cal.  That's still better than a can of Coke.  But I see your point though, and trust me, it's not like I like on the things 24/7 :)

Many people stop being fatasses just by cutting out soda and dropping the Big Mac content of their diet

LOL

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge

I don't mind water, I'm fine with it. Per 100ml its 25Cal, so in a normal 600ml bottle it's 150 cal.  That's still better than a can of Coke.  But I see your point though, and trust me, it's not like I like on the things 24/7 :)

For anyone who didn't get my point, Gatorade is basically just water, sugar, and salt.  There's nothing nutritious there at all.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
> For anyone who didn't get my point, Gatorade is basically just water, sugar, and salt.  There's nothing nutritious there at all.

Isn't the idea that it provides hydration+energy while people are in the middle of something active?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
From what I understand, a lot of marketing of gatorade is that it replaces your electrolytes.  Believe me, if you're sweating enough to lose THAT many electrolytes, you're going to have other problems first.  Any energy you get would be from the sugar, if you're drinking gatorade as an energy boost, it's not going to be a very efficient one.

stealth

• Jackass V
For anyone who didn't get my point, Gatorade is basically just water, sugar, and salt.  There's nothing nutritious there at all.

You forgot food colouring.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
But...they've done RESEARCH

Seriously, though, is there anything wrong with sugar as energy, perhaps besides that it doesn't provide a lot of it? I figure you don't want to be eating energy bars or anything in the middle of playing soccer/football/whatever, but you need to drink anyways, so why not get something out of it?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
It's the way your body processes it.  Sugar is a good source of energy but it's not storable in that form, it gets turned into fat (which is also a great source of energy, but uses fatty acid oxidation and not glycolysis).  When you run low on glucose, your body's going to start breaking down your glycogen and fatty acids. 

You don't need to have the extra glucose for what cheez is talking about really, and especially not if you're trying to lose weight.  For sprint-sports, I guess it's a different story.  I'm not so sure about soccer though.  It'll give you a boost, sure, but if you don't have any reserves left from eating healthily, you'll be running on empty.  Granted, this also takes a lot of effort to do, but it can happen.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
I dont know about froma  fitness point of view, but when i played football and soccer as a kid i always felt "better" when drinking gatorade as opposed to water.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

stealth

• Jackass V
In a nutshell, jkim is right.

Sugar is a simple carb and metabolised in a process known as "glucose metabolism", which is basically how quickly your body can deliver glucose into the bloodstream.

The primary reason for limiting your sugar is to minimise the risk of reduced insulin sensitivity which can result Type 2 diabetes. Reading up a bit on it, the WHO recommends that sugars (including those found in fruit, honey, juice etc.) should not account for more than 10% of the energy intake of a healthy diet, with carbs in total being 55%-75%. Presumably, the rest of your intake should be protein and fats.

The brain runs on the energy it gets from blood glucose in your body.  So if you don't have enough in your blood, you'll suffer physically and mentally.  You need some glucose, but not too much of it. Per 100ml of Gatorade it's 0.5g of glucose and 5.5g of sucrose.  Sucrose is table sugar, which is made up of glucose and fructose.  Sucrose is also a macronutrient which will give a rapid rise in your blood glucose levels. Hence, when drinking something akin to Gatorade, your energy levels will get a quick burst.  It is not, however, part of a balanced diet.  It's also 4 calories to 1g carb.  So if you're carb intake is 399 grams for instance -it's 4 x 399 = 1596cal.  10% of 1596 is 159.

So a bottle of Gatorade is probably going to max out your sugar intake for the day.  Eating an orange or another fruit is probably a safer bet really.  Having the odd Gatorade isn't going to damage your health as much as a can of Coke will. And I say that on the basis that Coke contains a much higher sugar content. 

>> I dont know about froma  fitness point of view, but when i played football and soccer as a kid i always felt "better" when drinking gatorade as opposed to water.<<

Drinking water is the safer bet.  But in terms of it giving you more energy, Gatorade beats water hands down.  The only reason it will hydrate you quicker is simply because it tastes nice and you'll drink more of it more quickly than water.  I guess this is my justification for drinking it when doing a lot of running.  But I usuall only have it if I haven't had much water during the day or if I am really, really tired and need a boost.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:47:35 AM by stealth »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
> But...they've done RESEARCH

Anyone seen Idiocracy?  "But it's got electrolytes!" :)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
When I started my new routine in March I was doing pullups with 100lb of assistance.  This morning I did 3 sets of 3 pullups with no assistance at all :cool:  Even though the rest of my workout kind of sucked I'm really happy about that.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge