Author Topic: what would you charge?  (Read 3988 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
what would you charge?
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »
so my boss's boss came in and asked me to help out his [50+ year old relative] who wants a website for his band.

so i e-mailed the guy to ask what he was looking for -- like a high-tech CMS based multimedia site w/ mp3 players and calendars  or just a brochure.

he wrote back and said
For now, we really want basics....home page with picture...the features would be samples of nine songs we recorded which I have as an MP3, bios of band, sample song list, the types of places we've played and our schedule, which is really the only thing that would need updating and contact info
sounds fairly easy.  As far as what they're willing to pay he said,
Given that this is a psyce enhancing, money losing proposition, the budget imagined is--well--slight

I don't do a lot of side projects (and usually their more application programming and complex) -- however, design is also pretty time consuming.  I'm kind of doing this because my boss's boss told me to -- so what should I charge?

like $200?  or $500?  or $100 or $10,000?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Re: what would you charge?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:06:24 PM »
check the local market conditions (i.e. what other web-builder-type-people charge in your area, along with if they charge by hour, or by job) and then go from there.  if you want to see government rates, head on over to https://www.gsaadvantage.gov and do a search (webmaster?)

since it seems that this is a first time gig for you, i would say slightly lower than market average.

doesn't ober also make websites on the side?
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »
I'd charge around 4-500 for that.  But when people say things like that, they're not expecting to pay more than 1-200.  Good luck.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »
im w/ obie, 1-200
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
I quoted him $200 and he said it sounded reasonable but would double check w/  his band mates. 

That doesn't include hosting.  I recommended my favorite places (jumpline.com which is $16.95 a month, w/ 3months free when you sign up through http://www.getjumpline.com)

then told them if they didn't find something else, I could just piggy back their site on my own server space for a year at an additional cost of $50.

Thats as far as we've gotten in the negotiation.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:04:41 AM »
I never offer to piggy back, because what happens if you no longer need hosting, loose it, etc.

As for the price, around 100 for a plain jane 3 page site is what most people would charge, so for everything he wants i think 200 is a really good deal.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
$16.95/mo????  Why the hell would you pay that much for hosting?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »
i thought it said 6.95 lol. I pay 6.75 with tax for 120gigs of hdd, 1,000gigs of bandwidth, unlimited db's, unlimited ftp and emails, and some other stuff.

Hell my dedicated server was only 30.00 a month with tax, thats half of my dedicated thats nuts.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
it's VPS hosting.  Its a fairly decent deal (godaddy's VPS plans start at $30).  i'm sure there are a lot of cheaper and possibly better ones out there but I've been hosting w/ jumpline for 7 years now.  Their hosting is solid and their support services are fast, friendly and helpful.

(also, i don't pay anything a month...I always find work-arounds like taking advantage of their promotional deals and affiliate network or just letting others "share" my server space and making them pay for it.)

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 12:04:43 PM »
I pay 6.75 with tax

you pay tax on hosting?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 11:29:37 PM »
yea because im in NJ, im bout to change the billing address to fl lol

as for comparisons, do NOT compare to godaddy. thats the worst host ever