Author Topic: Learning to estimate  (Read 2855 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Learning to estimate
« on: September 21, 2008, 02:41:34 PM »
Do any of you know of any good resources for learning how to give accurate estimates about how long a project will take?  For the skills concerning software development I think that is currently my weakest.  It just isn't something I've had to do a lot of.  I assume a lot is just based on experience and learning by trail and error but I'm hoping there might be something that'll get me down the right path.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Learning to estimate
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »
Depends, is it for stuff you've done before or stuff you have no idea how long it will take? When we do project estimates at work, first we try to talk to the customer to get the basic idea of what they want and then we break it down into components and how long we think each one will take. Then we add a certain amount of overage based on how sure we are we have the requirements right. Could be anywhere from 10%-100%. We'll also take a crack at guessing how long it would take as a whole with dedicated time. And finally we'll try and compare it in terms of other projects we've done. If we're close on all three methods, that's good if not, we lean towards one way or another or we review our estimates to try and figure out why they're off.

If it's something you've never done before (as many are) just estimate what you know and then build in a conditional for change orders. And expect that there will be some. Always make the client sign off on your proposal and make sure they know that if it's not correct (requirements wise) that change orders are likely to be needed.

You can read books about it all day long but I think it's really an art.

My answer (from a much wiser man than me)
It will take as long as it takes.

Often times it's the balancing act between speed/quality/price; pick two.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
Estimate a timescale and then double it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:06:27 PM »
I thought the scotty factor was 4...

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
I thought the scotty factor was 4...

LOL!  :thumbsup:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
Estimate a timescale and then double it.

I really meant to do this in creating our latest scale, but I subconsciously forgot in a couple instances, or shortened the original estimate to make the doubled value seem smaller. Turns out I screwed us over by underestimating how long it would take. Next time I'll be sure to come up with an accurate assessment and really double it.