Author Topic: Oven temp inconsistency  (Read 703 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Oven temp inconsistency
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:41 AM »
Do any of you have a gas stove/oven?  Have any of you ever serviced one?  We have a natural gas stove that is never what we set the temp to.  And the difference varies, but it was between 50 and 90 degrees F off of whatever we set it to.  There is an adjustment within the software of the stove that I did change  but that only made it marginally better.  I'm curious if there is something else I can do to adjust the settings?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Oven temp inconsistency
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:24:23 AM »
Obes.

Could be the thermocouple or temperature controller circuit.  Could be because it is a POS consumer level gas stove.  We have one and burn propane.  They are designed to burn natural gas.  Make sure you have the propane kit and that it is properly adjusted.  Squires had to come out several times to get ours set up correctly.  Even then it moved around alot and was never accurate.  I checked accuracy with a Fluke I have.

Also.  Use a pizza stone.  A good big and heavy one.  It adds thermal mass and stabilizes the temperature swings when you open the door.  It takes longer to heat up, but works wonders with baking time and repeat results.  We love ours.  Figuratively.

The real solution is to toss the oven out the window and get a good convection oven.  And considering its size a new window.  Unfortunately it is not in our budget at this time.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:03:18 AM »
agree with knuck...

we recently replaced our old gas range from the 70's with a duel fuel range...if you cook a lot, it's worth the investment to replace it.  my wife mistake rate has dropped to near zero with the new oven...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »
Also...

If you ever go with a professional model, very carefully check the reviews and forums.

Many pro models are complete crap.

Many are not standard widths and or depths and some kitchen re-fitting.

Most of not all, can require pro level utility hook ups as well.  Larger diameter piping, multiple circuit heavy AWG wiring (10 AWG and up!). 

Another important consideration when installing a pro level stove/oven is sizing the hood correctly.  This sizing requires taking into account getting enough flow, external venting, and having the right physical overhead dimensions.

We looked into going with a pro setup when we built the house but it increased the cost by somewhere around $15+ K.  Too expensive for us. 

BTW most of the cost is the actual stove an hood unit(s).