Author Topic: Angels & Demons  (Read 7900 times)

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
Angels & Demons
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 06:27:56 PM »
i absolutely detest his books - i read this one, and i read Digital Fortress and it just absolutely annoyed me. I was so looking forward to Digital Fortress as it was about crypto which is a huge hobby of mine and something I have been thinking of doing a masters in but there were so many glaring inaccuracies in the books that it drove me insane (and dont even get me going on the fact that the fiancee pointed the lead, supposedly brilliant crypographer, in the right direction of the final piece of code-breaking as it was soo obvious a child of 5 could have worked it out). I just got so annoyed at the inaccuracies that I just wanted him to go and research his stuff better, or even more than that write about something he actually knew about because he definately knew nothing about code breaking.

Not only that but he alters reality just to fit his answers that he wants - sorry that is soo sloppy. Don't alter something that people know is true just because you cannot be bothered to come up with a better research and more accurate plot device. It completely throws you out of the story. I spent the last chapter of digital fortress either cringing or laughing my head off at the absurdities.

But what also annoyed me was that his writing style was so simplified - it was obvious that the book was written to appeal to the mass market and including those people with an IQ of less than 70 !

As you can imagine it I completely hated it. Sorry
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 06:33:05 PM by chimaera »
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
Angels & Demons
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 02:13:14 AM »
So Bassy, have you ever read Cryptonomicon? I loved it, Neal Stephenson is really very good.

Bassy

• Red Panda
  • Jackass IV
    • My website
Angels & Demons
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 12:45:45 PM »
funny you should ask that ken but i just ordered it last night from amazon (along with the new terry pratchet book)
People in bamboo houses shouldn't throw pandas

salvelinus

• Founders
Angels & Demons
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 01:20:01 PM »
Cryptonomicon was good but really started to wander towards the end.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Angels & Demons
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »
Yeah, it really did.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
Angels & Demons
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 01:06:31 PM »
The ending was just a little anti-climactic, if I remember.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Re: Angels & Demons
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 08:17:28 AM »
got stuck into ready a&d the past few days.  had put it down because of another book i was reading.  it's pretty good.  fuck off if it's for people with a "low iq".  it's not meant to make you think, it's just pulp innit.  god if you want to bore yourself to death with a classic, by all means please go ahead.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
I haven't read the DC yet (not sure that I will). I don't see how people can mix the fiction with reality. Its like if you watched that episode of Star Trek the next generation where they go back and time and meet Mark Twain. Just because Mark Twain existed doesn't meen that it really happend.

I will probably read Angel and Demon's. I started it in an airport a few weeks ago but then lost it in my lugage after the first couple chapters. 

I'm reading "Digital Fortress" now. I'm about half way through it.  Its a little dated though - like talking about 64-bit encryption as top of the line.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »
i'm about 1/5 of the way into A&D, i don't read much fiction but I'm liking this one. We'll see if I actually make it to the end.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 11:44:42 AM »
I'm with you, I almost NEVER read fiction.

Last summer though I read Michael Chreighton's "Prey" and "State of Fear" which I totally enjoyed.  He's probably one of my favorite authors - mostly because I don't read but I've read a half dozen of his books (most of which have since been turned into horrible movies)

I'm giving Dan Brown a chance to see if he can do the same. otherwise its back to books that end in "... for dummies"
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."