Author Topic: Fiddler  (Read 2553 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Fiddler
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
Wasn't sure how many of you knew about Fiddler.  It is a HTTP Debugging tool that is fantastic.  I haven't scratched the surface of all that it can do yet but it has already proven useful.  It allows you to see your HTTP requests and responses.  So you can fire it up, try out a page that is giving you problems, and see what is going on with the HTTP side of it.  From what I'm told it can do a lot more then that though.

I was able to use it recently to figure out how multi-part form data is handled so that I could create a PHP script that did logged into a forum, go to a topic, and post a reply with an attachment.  It kept track of cookies and everything :P

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Fiddler
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »
Ya, but does it steal your passwords?

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001072.html

Back on topic, I've been using the firebug plugin for some of that kind of stuff lately. But with what I do, most of my bottlenecks are backend issues.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Fiddler
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
Well this prog can catch all traffic not just FF traffic.  The only cavet I've found is that I have to start it before starting opera.  And if I close it opera stops working, I think it just sets it up as a proxy.