Author Topic: "unlimited"  (Read 6820 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: "unlimited"
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 03:49:31 PM »
enough space for his data != unlimited, in any language. Unlimited means without limits.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
Where's the limit that the company is placing outside the TOS?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »
Financial. There is no way (within the realm of reality) that they could provide enough space to someone intentionally trying to abuse it. They stake their claim that since not everyone is going to utilize their allocation in full it's therefore unlimited which it's not, just more than sufficient. It's all in the semantics of the word. They don't actually mean "unlimited", which is the point this guy is trying to make.

And as fast as they could throw more storage onto their network, a properly designed script or program could fill the space forcing them to perpetually add more storage which at some point they will not do, which would prove his point that they lied. If they were willing to keep throwing storage up as fast as they could with no regard for financial loss, then I'd be OK with the claim, but I doubt that's the case.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Except that a script program or person filling the space that quickly would violate the TOS.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »
Nope.  The TOS states that you can't run specific kinds of sites.  It does not dictate what kind of scripts you can run.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »
Are you sure? Cause I didn't read the TOS but I have never seen any hosting agreement that didn't mention server intensive or questionable scripts. Even my TOS covered that and I was just a reseller.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:32 PM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
So he's rationalized it away, still doesn't mean he's right in using the word.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Doesn't matter though.  As long as you define what exactly you mean then people can not say you are trying to defraud them.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
Basically. The word unlimited is used way to often in all industries we can all agree to that.

But in this case the guy arguing is an asshat. And let's of contracts redefine words to suit their specific need. The kid should stop being a homo.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »
As long as you define what exactly you mean then people can not say you are trying to defraud them.

There is no asterisk or disclaimer on the main part of the site where the claim is made. Therefore it is clearly trying to play on the psychology of people, which is easily mislead. It's mildly shady business, even if it's commonly done.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
On the front page there is a link called "Unlimited Policy" and I saw it without even trying to look for it.  And really for those who would use it the service really is unlimited.  It is only douche bags like the author that are trying to prove something that'd run into any sort of problem.