Author Topic: RVing  (Read 3402 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
RVing
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:53:56 PM »
So, after learning - the hard way - that the wife and I are not boat cruise people we discussed why and some alternatives.  We want to try and RV trip next.  She did it as a kid and liked it and I think I'll like it as well.

Anyone done it?  Got any tips they'd like to share?

I was thinking of doing Cruise America or something like that for a short (3-4 days) trip to try it out.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: RVing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »
I can't remember specifics, or if we were even told them, however a former neighbor used that once and things went badly.  I know he hated on them whenever given the opportunity and his wife seemed in full agreement.  Maybe it was them maybe the company is better now.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
Interesting that you're going through this.  It took my wife and I years to actually figure out what was 'relaxing' for us.  Turns out it is a cabin in the Smokey Mountains.  The kids love it too.

We considered doing the RV thing but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet and I'm not super keen on it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »
The mountain cabin is definitely a route we are considering as well.  The RV just let's us travel to multiple locations.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 11:19:33 AM »
I have a friend that spends his vacation RVing - actually, he pulls a camper - but before he got his own he used one of those RV rental companies and his experience was very poor. Mainly due to various mechanical failures. The vehicles they buy are generally really crappy and then they are used by inexperienced people and those two things coupled spell disaster in a short amount of time. Last thing you need is this type of stress during vacation. He always advised that if I wanted to rent one, to rent in person (rather than ordering online) and ask for the newest RV they have available.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
Interesting that you're going through this.  It took my wife and I years to actually figure out what was 'relaxing' for us.  Turns out it is a cabin in the Smokey Mountains.  The kids love it too.

Ideally I would like to take two vacations per year: one where we're staying in a single place to relax and another where it is more like a road trip to see more things, explore, visit, hike, etc. Road tripping is typically not super relaxing

This year we're spending 10 days in Florida on the beach (we rented a house) and in August I'm going fishing for a week to Minnesota's boundary waters. Sometime in the fall we'll fit in a road trip as well.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:30:00 PM »
We rented an RV a few years back from CruiseAmerica I think. It worked well for us. It's not terribly safe driving if you have kids so we might not do it again for awhile, but the overall experience was good. It was a fairly short drive to where we stayed but we used the air conditioner quite a bit even while parked and didn't have any mechanical issues. Obviously that will be hit and miss.

It was nice to have a home base. It was obviously more comfortable and much faster to set up than your typical campsite. Hardest part was dumping the sewage but it wasn't that bad at all. It was pretty user friendly.

I don't have much in the way of tips. If it's just the two of you then you can probably get a fairly small one so driving it won't be too hard. Yeah, I dunno. I say go for it. We just did it practically on a whim and didn't have any issues.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
Charlie, Since you are in my part of the country what were the prices like?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
We vary our vacations between massive cruises to destinations that we have always wanted to visit and short stays here and there throughout the US.  A nice three or four day weekend in a new area is always fun and better if you have friends in the general area.  For us that would be Florida and Phoenix areas thus far. 

I would like to check out Korea, Japan, Scotland, Germany, Austria, to name but a few.  That said, I would love to go back to the Florence and several other areas we visited on our latest cruise.  I need to make a post for that I suppose.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »
Charlie, Since you are in my part of the country what were the prices like?

Honestly, I don't remember very well at all. My guess is that it was cheap enough for us to do when we didn't want to spend a lot on our vacation, but not super cheap. Best bet is to just check out some websites and you'll get a good idea pretty quickly.