Author Topic: Junior Seau dead  (Read 5993 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Junior Seau dead
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell

wow thats some powerful stuff.

Plenty of kids end up with concussions or worse in high school. There's no reason to even start down that road

So are you going to keep him out of things like soccer, bike riding, motor sports, skating, etc also? I'm no stranger to concussions, I have had more than 12 since I was six years old (explains a lot right), 3 where I was hospitalized for a couple days to be monitored. Of those the majority were on an ATV wearing a helmet. One was on roller blades being a jackass, and one I slipped in the shower. That slip and fall was one of my worst.

The point is simply that shit happens. I will always make sure Keira is as safe as she can be, but we only get one life each and I will never stop her from living hers. I'm not attacking or trying to question you at all, I'm just curious.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
You can get concussed walking down the street but you'd be stupid to suggest tose other activities are as dangerous as football.  It's a game where defensive players literally hurl themselves headfirst at other players

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 06:57:31 PM »

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
shit happens                                                    serious shit happens often that screws up your life

That's a continuum. Sometimes it's ok to find a point somewhere in there and make that the cutoff.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
You can get concussed walking down the street but you'd be stupid to suggest tose other activities are as dangerous as football.  It's a game where defensive players literally hurl themselves headfirst at other players

While the likelihood of a head injury is statistically higher with football I wouldn't say the possibility for severe injury is any higher. A football helmet is designed for more impact rating than a motocross helmet. The reason these guys grow up to have serious issues is they start as kids and go into adulthood as professionals. If he just plays as a kid and some high school i think he is far more likely to be seriously injured doing any of those other things i listed. Even soccer because they hit and crap with no helmets.

Edit:

Another point i just thought of is that playing football I never once got a head injury. Until my sophomore year I was a tight end and took a friggen beating. Then I went to 2nd string QB and took some whammos. I stopped in high school (not that i had talent to continue anyway)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
shit happens                                                    serious shit happens often that screws up your life

That's a continuum. Sometimes it's ok to find a point somewhere in there and make that the cutoff.

agreed. the point in between with football is don't try and make a life of it in college or the NFL.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
Oh Jesus Christ. You know if you would pick up a dirtbike once in a while you might get laid more.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »
Well I'm married so I never get laid and I'll cross the other hobby bridges when they get there.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
Fair enough sir lol

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 07:37:22 AM »
> Another point i just thought of is that playing football I never once got a head injury.

Hey good for you surely your anecdote means that they're not widespread at all!
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/the_hidden_brain/2011/01/the_national_braindamage_league.html

7% of players in a given year end up with concussions, and that's just the ones that are reported.  The study estimates that it's probably actually twice that since they're so often dismissed as a "stinger" or "having your bell rung".  I love football but it is an absolutely brutal sport and the macho attitude around it is harmful.  I won't let my son participate in that.

edit: and there's a very compelling argument to be made that the helmet technology we have today actually makes concussions more likely, not less.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Well I'm married so I never get laid and I'll cross the other hobby bridges when they get there.
You're early in kid-life.  It'll come back around.  ;)

.... or at least it did for me ;)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 09:25:21 AM »
But I'm not married to you?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
Who said anything about you and me!?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
You were sending out some pretty strong signals man

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
So if your son wants to play football there will be no room for discussion?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
At this point, no