Author Topic: Tire Suggestions  (Read 2165 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Tire Suggestions
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
I'm in need of some new tires. I'm starting to feel a bit of a shake in my tires and rather than getting them balanced & rotated, they're pretty much in need of replacement. The fronts are just about down to the "replace me" marks in the treads (my guess is that's about 4/32). I think the last time I was in they measured like 5/32 or 6/32 (back in Feb). The backs have an extra 1/32 than the fronts (I'm overdue to rotate them). The tires are at least 4 years old and I've thrown ~35K on them (I work pretty close to home). I could probably balance and rotate them and get to the winter, but I thought it might be nice just to get a fresh set now.

I'm planning on going with an all season since my AWD is fine in the winter and while snow tires would probably make me want to drive on lakes, I don't think it's necessary. Right now the tires are some offbrand Goodyear type. I don't usually keep my cars long enough to replace the tires on, so I'm wondering what you guys suggest going with. The only ones I've ever replaced were the ones on my Civic and I went with Michelins and thought they worked alright.

Any thoughts on the subject?

I'm running 235/45-17 and the speed rating on the tires is H, the spare in my trunk which I'm guessing was stock is a Y.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Tire Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
On a side note, my brother thinks my ball joints/tie rods might need a look at too. But my guess is the tires since the shake is more noticeable in the 50mph+ range.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:08:46 PM »
Before replacing them or as you do, make sure the that the rest of the connected necessities are in good order.  As above tire rods, also suspension, bearings and consider a 4 wheel alignment.

Brands?

Pricey but silent and great in wet, dry, or snow Michelin Primacy.  Best tires I have ever used.  Use them on any vehicle we get.  Currently the VW and the Lexus.

Cheaper but decent.  Kumho, General, and Yokagowa.

No matter what we recommend, be sure to do your homework on TireRack.com  Read through the reviews until you find similar vehicles with the tires that interest you that drive in roughly the same weather you experience.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
I'm going to just get them balanced and rotated over lunch. It's been too long since I've rotated them and I've never had them balanced so I'm going to start there and see if the shake goes away. It's wasted money if it doesn't but it's a cheap interim fix as I'm still pondering trading in the car for something else. I have problems making big decisions quickly. I'm just not sold on having a Fit for the next 5 years.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »
FiTs rule.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »
Think the VSA on the Fit is worth getting the nav system?

I'm still moderately interested in the Fit, but I'm not good with change.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »
Honda has very nice Nav systems.  Better than mine I think.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
Ya, but having a brother that used to build competition stereos means I'm likely going to swap out the electronics. So all I'd get it for would be the VSA. I'm thinking it might make the car decent in the winter with the addition of snow tires an I wouldn't miss my awd that much. as long as it can be turned off for "fun mode".

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:34:45 AM »
Stability can save a life despite killing a bit of fun.  And it can usually be turned off when "necessary".