Joe Biden (D)
3 (60%)
Jo Jorgensen (L)
2 (40%)
Howie Hawkins (G)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 03, 2020, 02:48:43 PM

Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 53715 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
I look at it too as sort of helping out on voting day by not needing to go since I have the luxury of taking time off early to go. Less people on voting day will hopefully help things go smoother day of.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2020, 12:14:40 AM »
I partially did mine because of Covid and partially because I like getting the ballot and making sure I've researched all the issues and candidates before I fill it out.  You can't exactly look something up last minute standing at the machine.  Granted, you should know all of the issues/candidates going in and I usually do by the time I get it but it's my last chance to double check.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #272 on: October 21, 2020, 01:11:25 AM »
Cool thanks for your answers.  I've never had to wait more than a couple minutes to vote and usually if there is a two minute wait, its inside anyway.  Around these parts you have to request a ballet and they mail it to you and then you have to mail it back... just seems like a hastel.  I guess if the traditional voting method had any level of difficulty or time suck, I'd probably mail it in too.  But also, when you vote in person you get a free sticker!

If they can ever figure out online voting in a reasonably secure way (like, block chain or level stuff) I'd be all in favor of doing that.  I mean, that's how I do my taxes  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #273 on: October 21, 2020, 09:25:34 AM »
1) There will likely be less machines to vote at this time
2) There will likely be a cleaning procedure after each person votes
3) People will have to maintain distances

All that is gonna take time.  I agree mine used to be in and out.  I don't assume that's the case this time.  Also, most places will give you a sticker if you drop it off.  Some are even mailing you the sticker with the absentee ballot.

I'm all about voting online if they can figure that shit out.  Seems possible if they just get their act together.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »
If they can ever figure out online voting in a reasonably secure way (like, block chain or level stuff) I'd be all in favor of doing that.  I mean, that's how I do my taxes  :dunno:
I'm all about voting online if they can figure that shit out.  Seems possible if they just get their act together.

:D

Seriously though, I'd love online voting.  I think the biggest challenges are auditability and securing it against hostile users.  And the fact that each state is in control of their elections and you know Georgia, Alabama, and/or Florida would find a way to fuck it up.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »
Here are three plausible scenarios:

My Best Guess

A Trump Win

A Biden Landslide

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 01:42:13 PM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2020, 01:21:17 PM »
Feels like Pennsylvania may not declare a winner on election night, but hopefully Florida's quick counting can make it moot and we can avoid all the potential shenanigans.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
I suspect Penn and potentially Ohio will flip blue.  Penn is usually blue though.  I will say, I'm getting worried.  There are still to many idiots choosing to vote for division and anarchy because they got a tax cut.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
Sadly I think it'll come down to FL. Biden wins FL, he'll win the election. If not, then who knows.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
I suspect Penn and potentially Ohio will flip blue.  Penn is usually blue though.

The thing is that with the way they count ballots in Pennsylvania, even if Biden wins the state it will likely look like Trump is up big on election night. In the scenario where the election is close (like my Trump wins map above), Pennsylvania would essentially determine the winner and Trump would likely try to declare victory before they finish counting. I'm not looking forward to that drama. Will be much better if enough other states go Blue early on so that's not an issue.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »
Apparently Trump supports are harassing the Biden campaign in Texas (include some vehicular violence) and Trump is ok with it.

This is one of the ways that Roman Republic fell

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
The Senate seems to be a much closer race. My guess:

If one of those close races go Republican instead of Democrat then we'll have to wait for January to find out who controls the Senate.

Who controls the Senate will have a huge effect on policy going forward.

If Biden wins and Democrats control 52+ senators, there's a decent chance that they end up killing the filibuster and pushing through significant legislation. Even if they don't kill the filibuster they would use reconciliation to do a couple important things.

If the Senate stays in Republican hands, the Supreme Court and federal courts will stay as they are now and essentially nothing will get passed. Biden will only have executive orders and federal agencies at his disposal.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:32 PM »
I can't believe how unimpassioned I am about any of this.  Like, I'll probably vote and then just not watch any coverage on TV.  I am completely apathetic about the whole process this year.  Kinda the same as watching the NFL. I haven't watched a single game this season, don't even care if I don't check the score on Monday.  Doesn't seem worth the effort.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #283 on: November 02, 2020, 01:12:38 AM »
I mean, if you're a Republican and also a reasonable person then yeah of course you're going to be apathetic about it because you're not going to be excited about voting for Trump and you're not going to be excited about voting for Biden.

And after years of excellence the Patriots are... not excellent, so football won't be super exciting.

And then every individual has different stuff going on in their lives that could affect this type of feeling.. Like what if you're in a new relationship that you're excited about for the first time in a decade... I dunno.. maybe that type of stuff could also affect how much energy one devotes to other things? Just a guess.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #284 on: November 02, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »
Here are three plausible scenarios:

My Best Guess

I'm very skeptical Biden will be able to win Florida. And also skeptical about PA. But I think there's a better chance of PA than FL.