Joe Biden (D)
3 (60%)
Jo Jorgensen (L)
2 (40%)
Howie Hawkins (G)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 03, 2020, 02:48:43 PM

Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 53752 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #375 on: December 24, 2020, 12:42:57 AM »
I wonder how you can disagree with his stance?

Lol... please think about it and try to give us some reasons why people might disagree with that stance.

I just watched a bunch of news clips

I’m also very curious where you saw these clips. Not who they were from but where you actually saw them and who put them together.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #376 on: December 24, 2020, 01:10:32 AM »

Lol... please think about it and try to give us some reasons why people might disagree with that stance.

I just watched a bunch of news clips

I’m also very curious where you saw these clips. Not who they were from but where you actually saw them and who put them together.

You're a douche, charlie. But here you go:

https://youtu.be/T0UhYolu9uw

https://youtu.be/C203HB_ABF0

https://youtu.be/pF2Nm0S0buY

https://youtu.be/P8SF0JZrmow

First 4 from the youtube breaking news feed
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #377 on: December 24, 2020, 01:15:05 AM »
And here is one from my favorite:

https://youtu.be/DJOB2DiNNsY
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #378 on: December 24, 2020, 01:26:27 AM »
I'm sorry but that guy is a huge con man. It doesn't really matter what he says now since it's not going to matter in a month. He had the last four years and wasted them. And the pardons should really speak to his character. He's just grand standing and I'm understandably shocked that you don't see that Jake. You seem like someone that can call out BS when they see it and that's all I see in Trump. There's no substance to anything he says, just double speak.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #379 on: December 24, 2020, 01:33:01 AM »
Yeah, I mean the pardons today were so egregiously corrupt that in comparison the media not going deeper on the reasons for the veto threat seems pretty trivial.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2020, 02:01:07 AM »
I'm sorry but that guy is a huge con man. It doesn't really matter what he says now since it's not going to matter in a month. He had the last four years and wasted them. And the pardons should really speak to his character. He's just grand standing and I'm understandably shocked that you don't see that Jake. You seem like someone that can call out BS when they see it and that's all I see in Trump. There's no substance to anything he says, just double speak.

I agree, and i never said otherwise. The pardons are BS for sure.

Yeah, I mean the pardons today were so egregiously corrupt that in comparison the media not going deeper on the reasons for the veto threat seems pretty trivial.

How convenient.

Charlie, please explain the big government logic to me. Why does a stimulus bill to help the american people need to include so much other fat? Trim the fat. Stop the unnecessary foreign aid. Stop with pet projects that make the swamp politicians rich or help them get reelected. Help people. Help small businesses.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2020, 02:03:15 AM »
Why don't these news outlets show their viewers what is really in the bill and just how little of that bill is actually covid relief for americans? What is the purpose?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2020, 02:28:27 AM »
Jake... are you aware that the bill in question is the funding for the entire government, plus Covid relief combined into a single bill? The “fat” you’re almost certainly talking about is all from the omnibus side, and is almost entirely stuff that Trump’s administration included in their proposed budget.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2020, 02:32:07 AM »
It’s all standard stuff. That’s not newsworthy. There were a few extra and new things in there like legislation to curb surprise billing and they got news attention (although they may not have been big enough to find space in a nightly news show), but the government funding details are just not that interesting to make news segments focused on getting viewers.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #384 on: December 24, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »
Great post Jake.  Thanks for not trolling.  I 100% agree with you.  The list of pork in this bill is insane.  Almost NONE of it has anything to do with COVID but its titled the covid relief bill. Its like thousands of pages and the congress had only a few hours with it before the vote.

I say Good on Trump for calling them out on this bullshit.   $600 is a joke.

edit: not to mention that Nanci Pelosi has made it clear that they held up this bill/vote until after the election for political gain.  Absolutely sickening.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2020, 12:33:46 PM »
C’mon Micah... are you talking about the COVID bill or the government spending omnibus? They’re two different things combined together to help ensure passage.

Like, if you’re against the spending in the government funding bill fine, but it’s separate from COVID relief.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »
I guess I just get annoyed at outrage in general, and especially when it’s rooted in misunderstanding. (Not saying you guys’ posts are definitely based on misunderstanding, I’m just asking because it doesn’t make sense to me as written.)

Everything sounds bad in politics on the surface. And there are definitely things to be unhappy with. But a lot of the bad things Congress does is because it’s so easy for the general public to take limited information and turn it into outrage. So they’re incentivized to use tricks and weird maneuvers to get stuff done with the least amount of political backlash. That leads to suboptimal policy.

In the case of COVID, the checks directly to people are good, but they’re not necessarily better policy than additional unemployment assistance, they’re just less susceptible to outrage.

Is there stuff to disagree with in the government funding bill? Of course! Would we all disagree on what was good and what was bad? Probably. But this is just normal stuff and if you’re consuming media that sensationalizes it all and allow that to make you outraged then you may just be making the problem worse.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #387 on: December 24, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »
Charlie, thanks for clarifying... every single headline i've read (like from real news outlets not facebook posts) have called it the "900 billion dollar stimulus bill."  So the presumption is that this is the COVID Relief and stimulus package that they've been promising for months.  :dunno:  you could easily see how having a $600 "stimulous" to make up for a crippled economy could cause people to get outraged when the same bill gives millions for silly things like gender studies in Pakistan.

I'll take your word for it though and stand down my outrage (a little)... although for what its worth these omnibus pork bills are always ridiculous. Just because they're bipartisanly approved and happen every year, doesn't make them any better.  Pork is pork.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #388 on: December 28, 2020, 04:22:55 AM »
silly things like gender studies in Pakistan.

It's easy to get your knickers in a twist when you start casting programs intended to improve the lives of woman in oppressive counties as "gender studies".

From the outside looking in the thing I can't understand is why giving every American citizen money, with no means testing, is even considered a good idea. Putting it another way, not giving the $600 to the literal top %1 would save $1.4 billion.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #389 on: December 28, 2020, 12:32:39 PM »
From the outside looking in the thing I can't understand is why giving every American citizen money, with no means testing, is even considered a good idea. Putting it another way, not giving the $600 to the literal top %1 would save $1.4 billion.

The $600 phases out for earners making above USD $75k (single) or like $150k married filing jointly.  After that it drops like $10 for every $1,000 you earn.  So upper middle class and the rich do not get the benefit.