Author Topic: My Next Laptop  (Read 16811 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: My Next Laptop
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
I don't think you should get a screen less than 15" viewable personally, and if you can handle to go higher to say a 17" that is great.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
I actually don't mind the 13" screen size since it's a good size for portability. I use an external monitor for most things. The 14" screen in the 13" body is interesting though. I like the Asus but I don't know if the 1080 resolution is big enough for the screen. I used to like high resolution but I'm getting old now. The Samsung series 9 looks interesting to me too. Not sure if it's worth switching Dell/Toshiba yet but it might be nice to get back to one laptop. The girlfriend can get one of them and my brother/dad can have the other.

Too many choices out there.
This signature intentionally left blank.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »
I don't think you should get a screen less than 15" viewable personally, and if you can handle to go higher to say a 17" that is great.

The whole point is to have something under 3 lbs or so.  I have no office and no car.  That means I'm constantly on the go between different places where I work/study and my laptop is on my back.  My current 15" is too big for that. 15 or 17" is not an option. I'll have a bigger laptop at home and an even bigger desktop in Nola.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:52 PM »
I actually don't mind the 13" screen size since it's a good size for portability. I use an external monitor for most things. The 14" screen in the 13" body is interesting though. I like the Asus but I don't know if the 1080 resolution is big enough for the screen. I used to like high resolution but I'm getting old now. The Samsung series 9 looks interesting to me too. Not sure if it's worth switching Dell/Toshiba yet but it might be nice to get back to one laptop. The girlfriend can get one of them and my brother/dad can have the other.

Too many choices out there.

No kidding.  I looked at the 9 series too, but the keyboards and trackpads got shitty reviews...and that's big for a machine that I'm mostly going to type on...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 06:52:01 AM »
FYI
Found this a few minutes ago.

http://www.2dayblog.com/2012/08/17/asus-zenbook-prime-faces-teardown-affords-a-little-expansion-in-an-even-smaller-space/

Oh and 17" screens on a laptop are HUGE.  Not what you are looking for at all. 

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 07:51:47 AM »
I said 17 would be nice if he could deal with it. I carry a 15 all the time it's not that heavy.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 09:23:10 AM »
Nothing's that bad when carrying in a car. :-). Try the subway.

Knuck, some of the Zenbooks list thir ram as SO-DIMM (soldered) and some don't....very hard to tell if all models have the expansion slot....but it's supposed to be a max of 6

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
Nothing's that bad when carrying in a car. :-). Try the subway.

Knuck, some of the Zenbooks list thir ram as SO-DIMM (soldered) and some don't....very hard to tell if all models have the expansion slot....but it's supposed to be a max of 6

Whatever brand you end up with, get 8GB and it won't be an issue.  Ever.  You will not need more than 8 and with a 64 bit OS, less is silly.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
That locks me into the Lenovo...which is what I'm thinking as you know...,gonna try to go see the Zenbook today

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
Let me know what you think.  And before purchasing hold and handle both. 

I kind of hope you get the Lenovo just as a reference comparison. 

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »
The 8g ram on the Lenovo would be nicer than the 6max asus....but I do want to see the screen....

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
I bet it comes down to feel.  Might be the feel of the whole thing or just the keyboard.

Also make sure you can deal with the two "mouse" buttons at the top of the pad.  I dislike this.  I can deal with it however I never really get used to it.  I like them at the bottom for use with my thumb.  It just fits.  You see this with the laptops that have the nub mouse. 

I wouldn't quibble over 6GB vs 8GB of RAM.  I just want people to have headroom over 4GB.

I like the matte screen on the Lenovo.  They are dimmer and duller, but far less persnickety in any real lighting.  The only thing I reeeeeallly wish my Asus had was a backlit keyboard.  I just can't touch type punctuation and numbers well enough without looking sometimes.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
Thanks Knuck.

The top muse buttons are rally only there for if you're using the nub.  The main trackpad has its own buttons (in this case whole pad is a multitouch button I think)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
Well hmmm.  That is nice.

The reviewers seem to like the track pad on the Lenovo in the review you sent me.  But not the Asus.

Anandtech liked just about everything about it even the pad.  Good luck with this one.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
Went and held the asus.  First thing that happened was the trackpad had an issue.  Happened a few times, just lag in picking up what I wanted or overshooting.

Keyboard was decent - especially compared to the Samsung 9 it was sitting next to (ouch!).  Screen was indeed quite pretty and sharp.

Overall form was a bit flashy for me.  I did note the sharp edges that were noted in reviews, and I can see how that could make long typing annoying.  Also was a bit sharp to carry almost. Felt weird.  Good weight though, felt sturdy and I couldn't replicate the loose hinge noted in some of the reviews.