Author Topic: iPhone 3G  (Read 9958 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
iPhone 3G
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:59:50 AM »
So I'm considering getting an iPhone as my phone is on it's last legs. However there are a few things that would make my decision much easier. The ability to record video and run unlicensed apps. So basically jail break the phone. I don't care about running it on another carrier, I just would really like some of the features the other phones have that Apple has yet to decide to make available.

Anyone jailbreak or know someone that has? Does it still keep the OS but just allow you to run apps and such or is it a different OS (like Linux or something)? Once jail broken, can you you un-jailbreak the phone somehow?
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: iPhone 3G
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
What about the new Android phone or the upcoming Blackberry Storm?

Just curious. 

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »
Jailbreaking a 3g is just as easy as the old ones. Its literally connect it to the pc and make one click. I use a program but the name escapes me...ziphone perhaps? It starts with a z. If u google jailbreak 3g its like the first hit. Works everytime.

The original os is kept in tact it just allows for normal use and moving between carriers. Allows use of almost all apps.

You need a windows box to run it as I don't think there's a linux version.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:45:59 AM »
I don't know that I can wait for the Storm to come out. If it's out in the next week or so I can probably wait (I'm with Verizon right now) but after playing with my bosses iPhone, it's really pretty nice. It's basically between the Storm and iPhone. I'm just trying to figure out which one is best for me.

The Storm would be nice because I could use my discount, but the iPhone could probably actually save me money over the long term with the roll over minutes and such.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Go att on a curve dude. The only thing the iphone has my curve doesn't is touchscreen and imo the iphones touch sucks ass. Even with plugins. I can't stand it ill take my keyboard anyday
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 12:06:25 PM »
Yeah.  I have heard terrible things about the iPhone "keyboard", but then again if you are not much of a keyboard user then it wouldn't matter anyway.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »
Even a casual user is forced to use the touch enough to hate it

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:37:36 PM »
See, I love touch screens. I come from the Windows Mobile and I hate the stupid buttons on Treos and BBs. That's why I was excited about the Storm.

Touch screen on a phone for me is a must. I'm not a huge texter and I have no plans on writing a novel on the thing so I think I'm good. Mostly I'd use it for surfing the web and killing time places while waiting for stuff. In all reality, I could probably just get by with a regular phone but what fun would that be.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »
What stupid buttons? To each his own but I have a smart phone for function so the BB is the choice. Teeniboppers and those who want flashy novelty items should go iphone.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:14:21 PM »
I was interested in the iPhone.

Then I noticed EVERYONE has one, and that bothers me.

I'm looking forward to getting the BB Storm when it releases in Nov, but I'm affraid the same may/will happen with it.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
I've been thinking iPhone lately just because it would be sweet to have all my contact and calendar info synched with my laptop and school desktop.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
BB syncs...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
Where the fuck is Kermi.  Our resident IPhone bitch?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »
with all of the iLife apps? Cause that's were the goods are. Apple Mail, Contact List, and iCal all share and integrate their data sources.

For some reason I'd imagine the BB having it's own desktop software. The last time I had a palm pilot it had it's own damn desktop software with it's own crappy contact list, calendar, etc.. pain in the ass.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
Yea it does but u don't have to use it. Mine syncs with my email on its own and on windows syncd with my contacts and media I assigned it. Linux is tricky yet and I'm not sure about mac. I think there's a mac section by the linux section at blackberryforums.com