Author Topic: Talk to me about the Storm  (Read 10435 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Talk to me about the Storm
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »
... I think I'm going to wait until the end of the week and buy her the Droid.

Motorola or HTC?
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
Motorola.  Does HTC have a Droid?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 04:18:21 PM »
Anyone know the difference between the Motorola Droid and the HTC Droid Eris from a specs point of view??  There's not a lot of information about the Eris but my wife seems to like that one more and it's $100 cheaper.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
check out phonescoop.com. you should be able to compare them side by side, love that website
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
Eris has no physical keyboard, runs android 1.5 out of the box and is really more like the Hero I believe for internals. I'd probably try both before picking one. Odd that the Eris isn't getting much hype though from Verizon. I think it might actually turn out to be the better choice for a lot of people. Especially if you can throw 2.0 on it, which I'm guessing is probably going to happen quickly.

Big gotcha with the Droid though is its lack of stock multi-touch.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/htcs-droid-eris-leaked-docs/

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 09:44:23 PM »
That's what I don't get... Android can do it... I guess it's the phone hardware?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »
check out phonescoop.com. you should be able to compare them side by side, love that website
Even that site doesn't have the Eris.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »
Phonescoop not having something is a shock. And yes it is just like a computer, where the operating system can support something but if the hardware does not then it can't function.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
I think the hardware actually can though, but for some reason they chose not to allow the feature. Go ahead and speculate as to why... More than likely it won't take long to add the feature in though.

Says multi-touch is supported for third party apps, just not the built in ones. Stupid, but probably due to legal issues no one wants to admit to.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/04/motorola-droids-built-in-apps-dont-have-multitouch-support-th/

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 11:37:47 AM »
wait are they both VZW? They have a BAD habit of restricting phone features for different versions, such as encouraging a more expensive purchase

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 11:49:51 AM »
Yes, Verizon is putting out two Android phones this week. HTC Eris and Motorola Droid.

I don't see that as being as much of an issue with Android since people can actually update the phone now. But it's still silly they do this sort of thing.

I'm guessing the Eris will do multi-touch stock but sadly runs 1.5 so you don't get the cool 2.0 features that the Droid will have stock. But since Android is "open" I think a bunch of cool stuff will come quickly. And from the sounds of it, Verizon is planning on doing tethering with the Droid too (not right away of course).

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:52 PM »
Engaget podcast did a pretty extensive talkup of the Droid too beyond that review.  Apparently Verizon surprised them by sending review models to all the editors, so I'd check it out to hear all the opinions.  It's right at the top of the show.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 06:05:08 AM »
It actually extends throughout the whole show Benny.  If you want a real review, listen to that episode.  Long story short the Droid over the Storm 1 or 2 hands down.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:30 AM »
But WHICH droid is the question... did the mention the Eris or just the Droid?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »
Just Droid - the one Verizon is pushing right now on TV so heavily - thus the sending of review units...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own