Entertainment & Artistry > Sports/Outdoors & Manpoon

Who do you root for, and why?

(1/3) > >>

charlie:
I pretty much only follow US sports, so my teams are all from the states. These are my official favorites, teams that I would not ever root against unless they play someone else on the list. There are also a ton of teams/individuals I root for casually but aren't entrenched as an "official favorite".

NFL: 49ers, distant second is Steelers
NBA: Kings
MLB: Giants, very very close second is A's
NHL: what's this? Sharks, I guess.
College Sports: Div 1AA - UCD, Div 1A- UCLA

Some individual favorites that aren't official favorites: Woods, Mickelson, Sorenstam, Penske, Mears, Earnhardt Jr, Williams, Williams, Ivey, Chan

Why? I pretty much followed most of the local teams that my parents followed when I grew up. I don't know why I picked UCLA, but they've always been my favorite. I think I tend to like teams with gold in their uniform. UCD because I went there. The Steelers was weird, I always kind of liked them, but when I noticed I was kind of rooting for them year after year, I eventually decided to make it official, so now there is no going back. Most of the individuals I started watching early in their career or when I first started watching the "sport", so I claim it is not my fault that I picked a bunch of dominators.

What about you all?

Canuck:
NFL: Im not a big fan of football, but.. I cheer for the Bills and the Colts.
NBA: Raptors :), they have made a lot of changes this year, I hope things work out.
MLB: Not a big fan of baseball either, but I cheer for the Blue Jays
NHL: I dont have one team I follow, but since Andy Moog (my favourite player) is part of the Stars organization, they would be up there, I have to be loyal :).  Im also a fan of the Oilers and Flames.  I dont like the Senators.. but Ill cheer for every Canadian team once we are in the playoffs :)

Jake:
I pretty much cheer for the home teams, so Bears, Bulls, Fire and Sox.

I also like:

NFL: Raiders and Seahawks
NBA: San Antonio and Kings
NHL: not a huge fan at all - but there is a team in Chicago called the wolves - not sure what devision they play in but I've been to a few games and had a blast.

Govtcheez:
I support all the Detroit teams, because I've lived in MI my whole life.  I'm also a big MSU fan, as I grew up 15 minutes from it, and a lot of my friends (and my girlfriend) went there

Secondary teams
NHL: Flyers, just because I picked them one time when I was playing a NHL 98 league with my friends
NFL: Probably the Bears, because I like the way they play, and for a similar reason as the Flyers.  I realize rooting for a team in the same division as the Lions breaks all sorts of rules
MLB: The Nationals, and I don't really have a reason why

ober:
NFL: Steelers... duh ... my family has always been Steelers fans and they were the closest geography wise
MLB: Long time fan of the O's, again for geography reasons.  My allegiance has wained over the past few years and I'm considering picking a new team since I moved out of that area... probably gonna go with the Indians.  I like to pick a team that I can at least watch from time to time if I want.
NBA: As a kid, the Supersonics... I don't know why.  I just thought they were badass.  I don't really care about the NBA and I haven't followed it much so my teams change.  I did like the Kings, but I'm probably gonna root for the home team and go with the Cavs now that I'm here.  Definately isn't a bad time to jump on that bandwagon either.
NHL: never followed it much, but if I had to pick I'd say Flyers... again, it was a geography thing growing up.
NCAA Football: Michigan... I was given a little basketball that had U of M on it as a kid and it kinda stuck.  Besides, OSU sucks.

I think that's pretty much it.  Oh... and the Frederick Keys for minor league baseball... I went to several games when I lived there and really got to like the team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version