Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65223 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #345 on: December 16, 2020, 11:35:17 PM »
Jake - why don't you get the flu shot?  Trust me, I didn't start getting it until a few years ago but then someone else changed my mind.  I don't want to lead you so I'm curious what your reasoning is?

Because you've all had the virus, I realize there's potentially less of a need to get the vaccine but what I'm reading from the CDC indicates that the 'natural immunity' doesn't last as long as some think.  Curious about your reasoning.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #346 on: December 16, 2020, 11:55:57 PM »
[
Jake - why don't you get the flu shot?  Trust me, I didn't start getting it until a few years ago but then someone else changed my mind.  I don't want to lead you so I'm curious what your reasoning is?

Because you've all had the virus, I realize there's potentially less of a need to get the vaccine but what I'm reading from the CDC indicates that the 'natural immunity' doesn't last as long as some think.  Curious about your reasoning.

I don't know if there is a single good reason for not getting the flu shot - i guess the flu never affected us real bad, and we take steps throughout the year to keep our immunity up. With the vaccine being hit or miss most of the years, it is something we just chose not to do.

Same reasoning goes for not getting the covid vaccine. There are still things we need to learn about covida and even though mortality rate is higher than seasonal flu - it is still very very low. And that is also the reason  why I think some of the draconian measures taken by some states don't make much sense. As you say, going through it does play a role in the decision making...and as for natural vs vaccine provided immunity, i don't know enough about the difference. I'm not ruling it out for the future, but in the near future we will not be getting the covid shot.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #347 on: December 17, 2020, 12:04:10 AM »
Lol, why am I not surprised that this selfish motherfucker over here says he's not taking the vaccine.

I'm shocked. Shocked!

Finally Charlie! Let it all out, why don't you :) haha, you are funny indeed.

I can tell you that when we got the symptoms we all isolated for two weeks...really isolated. We wear masks and observe social distancing when in public. We do not, however, let the fear of this cold run our lives.

Charlie, thank you for being so brave: and since I know you love me the videos i post, here is another one:

https://youtu.be/b-LHdEUrGa8

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #348 on: December 17, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
We do not, however, let the fear of this cold run our lives.

I don't know what this has to do with whether you'd take a vaccine or flu shot. Doing those things for people like you (relatively young and healthy) is as much about protecting your fellow human beings as it is about protecting yourself. We're all inherently selfish creatures and often selfish actions are warranted, but the fact that your explanations talk only about the effects on yourself and your family make it clear that you're dismissing any potential benefit for others as essentially meaningless.

I do commend you for following the isolation guidelines and in the case of the COVID vaccine I actually don't think it makes sense for you to get it. Maybe in a year or so if there is plenty of supply and if the disease hasn't been eradicated and if science shows that natural immunity doesn't last long, then maybe I'd suggest considering taking that shot. But for now leave it for the high risk folks who haven't already gotten it.

Oh, and I watched the video for you, thanks for picking one that was only a few minutes. But it was just trolling and I don't think there was any serious point being made so I don't really have anything to say about it. If you think there is any serious point being made feel free to say so and I'd be happy to engage.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #349 on: December 17, 2020, 12:45:49 AM »
I don't think the video is trolling, it is on point satire.

Btw, charlie, I'm curious about what you think about your Governor?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #350 on: December 17, 2020, 12:47:39 AM »
And charlie, you called me selfish without knowing my reasoning behind not getting the covid shot - tsk tsk

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #351 on: December 17, 2020, 12:54:42 AM »
Hey Charlie, are small business owners that are going against local lock down rules selfish as well?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #352 on: December 17, 2020, 01:00:56 AM »
Charlie, you're fast to shame and critique people for not wearing a mask or not taking the covid vaccine because they are "not thinking of others" - yet you're pro choice. Why aren't you thinking of the lives that never happen because they are killed in the womb?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #353 on: December 17, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »
And charlie, you called me selfish without knowing my reasoning behind not getting the covid shot - tsk tsk

Ha! I totally called it. You literally explained your reasoning in two full paragraphs and didn't once talk about anything other than how it would affect you or your family.

We've known you long enough for me to guess that you didn't have some higher level thought process or secret altruism going on. Kinda funny that you spelled it out so quickly and clearly but the sarcasm was real. I was not, in fact, shocked.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #354 on: December 17, 2020, 01:11:13 AM »
I would also not immediately dismiss the distrust toward the vaccine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

40 years

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #355 on: December 17, 2020, 01:12:59 AM »

Ha! I totally called it. You literally explained your reasoning in two full paragraphs and didn't once talk about anything other than how it would affect you or your family.

We've known you long enough for me to guess that you didn't have some higher level thought process or secret altruism going on. Kinda funny that you spelled it out so quickly and clearly but the sarcasm was real. I was not, in fact, shocked.

I'm not saying you were wrong, I'm saying you made an assumption - i thought you would normally fret when similar assumptions were made by others :)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #356 on: December 17, 2020, 01:29:46 AM »

I'm not saying you were wrong, I'm saying you made an assumption - i thought you would normally fret when similar assumptions were made by others :)

Another good call! I called you out for that in the post I'm about to post. But to be fair I called you selfish in jest/teasing not trying to make a serious argument and also I wasn't wrong. ;)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #357 on: December 17, 2020, 01:30:17 AM »
I don't think the video is trolling, it is on point satire.

But that's the problem. It's not really on point at all. It is an extreme exaggeration of the views it aims to satirize. It is really only interesting to people who believe that those aren't exaggerations.

Btw, charlie, I'm curious about what you think about your Governor?

There are good and bad things about him. Overall I'm not a huge fan relative to a generic Democrat. I don't think he did a great job on COVID but compared to other governors I guess it's hard to complain.

Hey Charlie, are small business owners that are going against local lock down rules selfish as well?

Yes? I mean, isn't that by definition selfish? They're presumably going against the rules (which has costs for society and the individuals in it) in order to benefit themselves by reducing economic harm. Obviously there are other things involved as presumably they have employees that would benefit as well, and in this question you don't really talk about what rules are being broken and why, but yeah you could say that's at least in part selfish.

Charlie, you're fast to shame and critique people

Am I? I'm not sure that's actually true.

Charlie, you're fast to shame and critique people for not wearing a mask or not taking the covid vaccine because they are "not thinking of others" - yet you're pro choice. Why aren't you thinking of the lives that never happen because they are killed in the womb?

Probably going beyond the scope of this thread. But (a) how do you know I'm pro-choice? Did I say I was recently? It's an odd tangent to go on as I'm not terribly dogmatic about that particular issue. More importantly, (b) who says pro-choice folks don't think of the lives that never happen? And finally (c) one could ask the same question of both a pro-choice and a pro-life position, as in why aren't pro-life people thinking of the pregnant woman? In summary, it's not really a good question. If you want to talk about abortion maybe start a separate thread (and apologize to ober who will probably shit a brick as we tackle one of the most contentious topics in American politics just after he said how much he wanted to avoid that stuff).

I would also not immediately dismiss the distrust toward the vaccine: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

40 years

Things are never black and white, 100% good or 100% bad. I think the situation here makes it pretty clear that the benefits are worth the risks.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #358 on: December 17, 2020, 09:36:04 AM »
This guy is pretty funny :D

https://youtu.be/TN7s0-FuIEM

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #359 on: December 17, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »
Charlie made my point about the vaccine/flu shot pretty clearly - both are less about you and more about the community in general.  Even in the case of the flu shot, even though it doesn't cover all the strains, if enough people get it, SOME of the strains are largely off the table and that's a good thing.

Jake, pointing to the Tuskegee Study and relating it to the COVID vaccine is a pretty far stretch.  That is a WILDLY different scenario and I hope you can see that.  And bringing up abortion in relation to this?  Really?  I will say one thing, and one thing only on that topic because you are hitting a standard republican argument that grinds my gears.  I am pro-choice POLITICALLY.  I am pro-life PERSONALLY.  This falls in line with many other political choices I make.  It is not up to ME, how YOU handle things that affect YOUR PERSONAL life.  It's none of my business how you decide things like that.  That's why it's called 'pro-CHOICE' not 'PRO-KILL-ALL-THE-BABIES'.  Until the republicans can get that concept through their thick fucking skulls and stay out of people's lives, we won't get anywhere.  It's funny... republicans claim to be the party of 'less government', but it's ONLY when it comes to money.  They want to govern the fuck out of anything that goes against their moral fiber, which goes against the separation of church and state.  Interesting, isn't it?

/rant