Author Topic: All in or selective?  (Read 2908 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
All in or selective?
« on: October 11, 2006, 08:21:10 PM »
I'm talking play lists, people.  Do you take your entire music collection and dump it into one giant list?  Do you have a bunch of playlists for different moods?  Or do you just load up whatever you're into at the moment?

I personally dump almost my entire collection into the mix and just put it on random.  If it gets to a group or a song that I like, I'll take it off random and listen to a few until I get bored and put it back on random.

I was just curious what everyone else does.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: All in or selective?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:17:02 PM »
I have a list of my favs, i either play random through that list or random through the whole collection.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:52:44 PM »
I dont have one big playlist, I have a playlist for every album.  Every album has its own directory, each of which has a playlist, so depending on my mood, Ill just select something to play.

groovitude

• some hip cat
  • Founders
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »
I either set up a very specific playlist (either a single song on loop, or a bunch of very specific songs), or, most often, I just listen to albums.
A sophism of madness...

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 12:08:09 AM »
Both. At home, I have one huge playlist, but I don't use it that often. At work I've got several depending on my mood, and even though I don't play music that often there, the lists I play the most often have only a handful of songs on them.

And the lists are always randomized. If I want to hear more of a song or artist, I just move the songs around until I get an order that sounds good to me.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 12:13:17 AM »
I never listen to albums. It's either Best ofs that I make (ie. best of Weezer or best of Ben Gibbard, etc.), mixes that I've made for friends, or mood playlists (either genre-wise or actually mood-wise -- I have some folk mixes, some pop-punk mixes, some classic rock mixes, but I also have some upbeat mixes, some low-fi mixes, some acoustic mixes, etc.). It's at the point where I've got such a wide selection that it's ridiculous.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »
For the most part, I'm on random with all of my music.  Once I hear an artist or album I'm in the mood for, I'll listen to that.  I do have specfic playlists, but those get less play.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 02:22:06 AM »
When I had a home PC (I don't anymore) I used to have a playlist of say, metal/rock, one for dance/rap/hip-hop music etc.  Just went with the flow.

Currently rocking out to Megadeth though...\m/

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:38:54 AM »
What's a playlist? I put a physical CD in a physical CD player. TBH, unless you have no choice MP3's pretty much suck.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 09:57:14 AM »
Ok... but honestly Rob... that's not practical for most cases.  I listen to music all day at work.. I listen to music while I'm working at home... I listen to music in my living room.  I'm not going to haul my music around all over the place and bother with CDs... that's such a fucking hassle. 

What if you got into an album and then decided you wanted to listen to something else?  I'd have to stop what I was doing, find a different cd, go to the player, eject, insert, play, get comfortable again.  Fuck that.

MP3's really aren't that bad if you have them encoded at a decent rate.  I've heard that argument waaay too often and I think it's total bullshit.  I just want to listen to music.  As long as it sounds half decent, I'm not going to notice the difference in clarity.  Your ears adjust to what you're listening to. 

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 11:10:46 AM »
Each to their own I guess. TBH, I can't listen to music and work* - I've tried. I envy people who can, but I find I can't have music as background, I have to listen.

Sucks to be me :).

*As in work work, or studying.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 11:50:06 AM »
depends on the work... I always listen to music while programming... in college I couldn't listen and read at the same time, but classes like Calculus/physics/electronics required music to keep me sane.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 07:24:36 PM »
I used to listen to classical when I did study.

groovitude

• some hip cat
  • Founders
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 06:04:16 PM »
I can't listen to anything but Mozart while doing my German readings... ** shrugs **
A sophism of madness...

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »
Yeah, I understand that. When I study Spanish, I can only listen to Mariachi.