Author Topic: Albums you *should* like but don't  (Read 13519 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
Albums you *should* like but don't
« on: June 13, 2005, 06:16:10 AM »
Sea Change - Beck - I just can't get into this album at all.  I've tried and tried to listen to it in one sitting but usually get bored after a couple of songs.  Maybe I've never had that bad a break-up or I just can't empathise with Beck's lyrics.  It just seems so, I don't know, self-indulgent/self-conscious.  Either way, I know it's one of his strongest albums, but I just can't dig it.

Nevermind - Nirvana - The second half of the album is great, but the first just leaves me cold.  I can't stomach to hear the hit songs anymore after close to 14 years of constant radio play.  Besides, the live versions of most of the songs here on Muddy Banks... are far, far superior to the studio originals.

Radiohead - Hail To The Thief - Now here me out...I am a Radiohead fan, but this was about 7-8 songs too long.  It should have been an EP, instead it came out like a rushed collection of faux-political rants that came out a couple of years too late.  Had the album consisted of: "Sit Down. Stand Up.", "Backdrifts", "Go to Sleep", "Where I End and You Begin", "A Punchup at a Wedding" and "Scatterbrain" it would be 5/5.  I don't know, I guess coming out after Amnesiac, which in my view is their greatest triumph, I just couldn't dig the 'head's latest.  But even now, these past years gone, I still think Hail... was a let down.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:11:16 AM »
Anything by Radiohead.

>>edit - I don't mean the album called Anything (I don't even know if they have an album called Anything)

>>edit2. Only thing I heard of theirs that I liked was Creep.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 07:48:58 AM »
I'll agree with Nevermind, sort of.  I do like the album, but I really don't see why it's the masterpiece everyone says it is.

Anything made by Floyd while Barrett was still able to string together a sentence.  All the "real" fans I've met say that Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle, etc. are their best albums, creatively.  I just don't see it.  Give me WYWH or the Wall anyday, please.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »
Quote from: Govtcheez
Anything made by Floyd while Barrett was still able to string together a sentence.  All the "real" fans I've met say that Saucerful of Secrets, Meddle, etc. are their best albums, creatively.  I just don't see it.  Give me WYWH or the Wall anyday, please.

Not better, just different. Check out Remember a Day, or The Nile Song, or POWR TOCH.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 09:06:10 AM »
Quote from: Rob
Anything by Radiohead.

>>edit - I don't mean the album called Anything (I don't even know if they have an album called Anything)

>>edit2. Only thing I heard of theirs that I liked was Creep.

Agreed on all counts.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
Quote from: -KEN-
Agreed on all counts.

:cool2: