Author Topic: NBA Western Conference  (Read 3484 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
NBA Western Conference
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:28:02 PM »
I know many of you don't follow the NBA much, but have you seen the Western Conference this year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings?season=2008&group=conference&seasontype=2&standType=standings

There are 7 teams all within 3 games of each other, and 2 more that are 5 1/2 back. All 9 of those teams have won 60+% of their games. Only the top 8 in each conference make the playoffs.

In the eastern conference Philly is in the last playoff spot with a .439 winning percentage, and in the west Denver is out of the playoffs at the moment with a .600 winning percentage. :eek:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: NBA Western Conference
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
East still > West!

I have no doubts Boston will win it all this year if they avoid injuries.

And Minnesota might as well close up shop with Garnett and WTF happened to Miami??

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:37:26 PM »
Miami's situation is hilarious to me. How they went from champions to complete and total crap in two years is amazing. You'll know it was done on purpose if they're back winning a lot again in two years after getting a high draft pick this summer.

I actually am not that impressed with Boston yet. They haven't been playing well lately. I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit or Cleveland come out of the East again. And while the West is crazy deep, it should be a competitive finals.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:39:54 PM »
Shaq got old (and traded), Wade came down to earth a little, and basically everyone else on that championship team peaked at the same time.  I mean look at the rest of that team.  Jason Williams, Udonis Haslem, Jiggletits, and an old Alonzo Mourning?  That team was never going to go anywhere after that season.

I don't really follow the NBA at all but to me it looks like the East is between Boston and Detroit while the West is still up for grabs.  I'm with ober though, the Celtics have to be the favorite.

Also I thought the Shaq trade was majorly overrated for Phoenix.  He's old, he's fat, he's always hurt, and he really doesn't try as hard anymore.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
Cleveland will wipe the floor with Detroit after the recent trades.  Ben Wallace in the hizzouse!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
Hahaha, Ben Wallace is fucking atrocious and I give it about a month before the people in Cleveland hate him as much as the people in Chicago and Detroit do.

Besides, who would know how to eliminate Wallace more than the Pistons?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:25:26 PM »
Wallace is not there for the Pistons. The Cavs beat the Pistons last year without him. Detroit needs to figure out how to beat LeBron. Wallace is there for Garnett and for the West. Szczcsczcscerbiak is also a pretty decent addition, he fits better with Cleveland than Hughes did.

I agree, the Shaq trade probably won't help the Suns. But they were tired of Marion's antics and didn't think they would win it without making a move anyway. It'll be fun to see who comes out of the West. It's pretty damn wide open.

I'm rooting for the Rockets, since I'd love to see Adelman get a ring, and I wouldn't mind Yao or McGrady getting out of the first round either. Hornets or Mavericks would be ok, too. I'll be sad if the Lakers win it all.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »
> Detroit needs to figure out how to beat LeBron.

They've done it before - they've split their recent playoff series IIRC

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 01:19:55 AM »
Yeah... with Wallace on their team. ;)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:06:29 AM »
So now they've got someone who will make free throws.  I don't see the negative :P