Author Topic: How do you consume news?  (Read 3254 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
How do you consume news?
« on: October 17, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »
I ask, because I don't. I stopped, a good long while ago. In the past, I would listen to NPR, or something like that. But just like most news stations I know about, their reporting of facts is intertwined with biased (hugely leftist) commentary. I also tried fox news, but that is even worse.

As I am typing this, I lied, I do consume news through Phillip DeFranco, a youtuber who puts out daily news videos. I think he does a pretty good job, but he only covers a small fraction of what is going on. The "real" news is often only half of the show, with the other half being youtube related news which I don't care for.

I am looking for a place that reports facts without commentary? does such a place exist?

how do you guys get your news?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: How do you consume news?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 10:51:14 PM »
NPR and CNN for me, mostly.  Oh, and I also follow a few news related subreddits (/r/worldnews and /r/news).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:43 PM »
NPR and CNN for me, mostly.  Oh, and I also follow a few news related subreddits (/r/worldnews and /r/news).

so we established in an ealier thread that I don't do reddit. But I tried the r/worldnews just now - how do you know that what is posted is legit? Can't anyone post on there?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
They are usually articles posted from reputable news sources.  It's not generally content directly from the users.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
I am looking for a place that reports facts without commentary? does such a place exist?

No. That doesn't exist. There are news sources that aim to maintain objectivity, but if you consider NPR "hugely leftist" then you're not going to find any that can fit that description in your mind.

how do you guys get your news?

The last few years I get my news via Twitter. I follow a small handful of people, including some reporters, and important news tends to show up in my feed. Often I switch to the "explore" tab as well and see any information that wasn't in the feed.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »
Trevor Noah was on Stern today and he said something I completely agree with and th shares the sentiment of this thread. He said he stopped watching all cable news because they are not news, but only arguments and opinions.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »
Trevor Noah was on Stern today and he said something I completely agree with and th shares the sentiment of this thread. He said he stopped watching all cable news because they are not news, but only arguments and opinions.

I agree with that....but what does he consider himself?
a LOT of people get their news from sources like his show or TMZ or whatever other equally or even-more-biased sources.  Granted, those sources don't bill themselves as being news sources and are "entertainment" but... when people consume all their current events knowledge from such shows, it's almost worse than the news.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »

I agree with that....but what does he consider himself?

he addresses that, and he is very adamant that his show is a comedy show, and nothing else. It is a comedic take on the daily news

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:13 PM »
i started watching local news. Those are pretty good as they almost always do not include opinion. But they are limited and cover very few world events.