Author Topic: Gatlinburg  (Read 4319 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Gatlinburg
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:36:40 PM »
Going to the Smokies in a few weeks - I haven't been there in more than a decade, and I know some of you have been. What do you recommend to do and see?

thanks.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Gatlinburg
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:44:32 AM »
Gatlinburg is ok but they are still rebuilding from the fires AFAIK.  The aquarium is decent.  Claims to be the 5th biggest in the world or something like that.  I'm not sure I agree but it's worth a visit.  When we go to Tennessee we spend most of our time in Pigeon Forge.  Plenty to do there and only 30 min or so from Gatlinburg.  In the 4 times we've been down there I think we spent all of 4 or 5 hours in Gatlinburg so I can't really say a whole lot about the attractions.  The Island in Pigeon Forge has a lot of stuff if you want sort of a one-stop place for shopping/arcade/nice ferris wheel/bumper cars/etc.  Oh and definitely find a mountain roller coaster.  There's a few in Pigeon Forge and I bet there are some in Gatlinburg.  They basically drag you up the mountain and then you're in control of your car on the way down. 

Where are you staying?  Did you get a cabin?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 12:51:48 AM »
Gatlinburg is ok but they are still rebuilding from the fires AFAIK.  The aquarium is decent.  Claims to be the 5th biggest in the world or something like that.  I'm not sure I agree but it's worth a visit.  When we go to Tennessee we spend most of our time in Pigeon Forge.  Plenty to do there and only 30 min or so from Gatlinburg.  In the 4 times we've been down there I think we spent all of 4 or 5 hours in Gatlinburg so I can't really say a whole lot about the attractions.  The Island in Pigeon Forge has a lot of stuff if you want sort of a one-stop place for shopping/arcade/nice ferris wheel/bumper cars/etc.  Oh and definitely find a mountain roller coaster.  There's a few in Pigeon Forge and I bet there are some in Gatlinburg.  They basically drag you up the mountain and then you're in control of your car on the way down. 

Where are you staying?  Did you get a cabin?

Thanks, Ben. Yes, we are getting a cabin about 15 minutes away from Gatlinburg. Really, we will only do a day in the city itself - so I am more asking about recommendations for the area attractions :) of course we'll be doing hiking, fishing, and exploring. I have to look into pigeon forge.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 01:04:16 AM »
Very cool.  I love the area.  I'm sad we're not going back this year.  There is plenty of hiking and stuff to do and some beautiful scenery.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »
Last night of the trip today. And it was awesome! I am so happy we came here - ready to conquer the world again!

Buuuuuuuut, I hate to say it, until places like this don't get serious about the virus, it will never go away. There was sooooooo many people in both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I would say a little more than half were wearing masks - which is more than I ever imagined seeing. Restaurants are observing social distancing, but that's pretty much where it ends. We stayed away from the cities short of taking the ski lift up to the suspended bridge.

The first day in the park we were shocked with how many people where actually there and on the trails. So much so, that you couldn't park anywhere near the trail head. So day two we adjusted our approach. We chilled at our pool or went fishing for the first half of the day, ate lunch, and hit the trails around 2PM. That worked wonderfully as there was less than half the people during the afternoon.

Smokys are beautiful. Longest hike we did was 5 miles. Loved all the waterfalls. Highlight for my son were "The Sinks" - where he was able to cliff jump into the river. He loved it so much we went there twice. As he was walking up and down the cliff we were swimming the chilly but refreshing water.

This morning we went tubing on the Little River - 2 hour float and that was pretty great as well.

So yeah, wonderful place. We will be back for sure.

Also, our cabin was on top of the mountain - the last residential area before the park - and when I mean on the top - literally, our house was on the cul-de-sac that finished the road! The view was outstanding.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:46:32 PM »
I'm telling you... it's one of the most beautiful places in the country.  We've had some AMAZING views there.  I'm sad to hear that people still aren't doing what they need to.  It doesn't surprise me though.  Even before all of this hit there was rampant stupidity all over the place down there.  :(  Glad you enjoyed it!