Author Topic: Homebrew DS stuff?  (Read 3859 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Homebrew DS stuff?
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »
Has anyone tried any of the homebrew stuff out there for the DS?  I'm just asking because I recently started doing some stuff with it - there's all sorts of user created games and utilities (even AIM and drawing programs) out there, but that's not the best part.

No, the best part is ScummVM DS.  For those who don't know, SCUMM was the name of the engine a lot of classic Lucasarts adventure games ran on.  Monkey Island, Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, etc.  There's an emulator out there that runs them in a virtual machine on your DS.  That's right, you can have Monkey Island on your DS.  I am the happiest little girl in the kingdom right now.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Homebrew DS stuff?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:10:43 AM »
Yeah, I haven't done that, but there are people who are making their own software on there.  You should premiere your game on the DS, ethic.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:28:50 AM »
You're missing the point though.  Monkey Island.  On the DS.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
are you talking about the nintendo ds? like the one my wife just bought?  and there's a way to hack it?   do tell!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »
Yeah, basically first you have to flash it so that it can accept non-Nintendo stuff.  There are a lot of guides out there for it.  If you fuck up, there's a chance you could brick the unit entirely, but that's kind of a chance you have to take.  It's not hard to avoid, though.

After that, the easiest thing to do is buy one of these (with a microSD card) and you're good to go.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
I just got a DS Lite.  I'm such a n00b at this stuff.