Author Topic: Duke Demo  (Read 8995 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Duke Demo
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
I'll give it a go. Still a place in my heart for dick n' fart jokes...

Demo it or torrent it would be my advice.  If you torrent it and you like it, pay for it, but check it out first.
I can agree with the demo but not the torrenting.  Stealing software just isn't cool.

I'm glad I held off on getting this.  The jokes and stuff were cool when I was 15/16 but now my humor tastes have evolved.  I don't mind those types of humor when in limited amounts.  Plus I'm not a FPS gamer.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
It isn't stealing if you pay for it.   :dunno:

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
Your initial act is the theft.  Just because you pay for it later doesn't change that initial act.

If you take a candy bar from a store without paying for it you have committed theft.  Just because you go back and pay for it later doesn't change it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
One time I went to a coney restaurant by work but I forgot my wallet.  I told the manager and he said it was cool if I came back later and paid, so I did because the coney was delicious.

The explosive diarrhea that the coney gave me is Duke Nukem Forever.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
The explosive diarrhea that the coney gave me is Duke Nukem Forever.
Toilet humor!!!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
And I thought it up in less than 15 years!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »
Your initial act is the theft.  Just because you pay for it later doesn't change that initial act.

If you take a candy bar from a store without paying for it you have committed theft.  Just because you go back and pay for it later doesn't change it.

I see it differently.  To me it is no different than creating a muuuuch needed return policy.  When you purchase a toaster at say Amazon and it turns out to be a pile of junk, you can return it.  Games and software in general have needed a similar policy for at least a decade.  Don't you think?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »
No, I think that it is still theft and that people who download it illegally are just trying to come up with excuses for it.  A good demo solves the "return policy" issue IMO.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »
Under the current laws I agree that downloading games is theft and I don't make excuses for it but I'm not gonna feel bad about it either.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
Under the current laws I agree that downloading games is theft and I don't make excuses for it but I'm not gonna feel bad about it either.
That's cool.  I think we all knowingly break various laws and don't feel bad about it.  I can respect the "yeah, but I don't care" attitude but not the excuses/justification attitude.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
No, I think that it is still theft and that people who download it illegally are just trying to come up with excuses for it.  A good demo solves the "return policy" issue IMO.

Mostly agree when a demo is available.  I do not agree that software developers can sell their products minus the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
I agree with Knuck.  There needs to be a reasonable return policy.  Now... I also understand that it would get crazy abuse.  Like people that buy a game, play it in a day or two and then return it.  It's not like you can buy underwear, wear it for a day or two and then decide you don't like it.  So there has to be something more.

I have gone down the torrent route in the past but often it's because the demo isn't sufficient to give something a real test drive.  And I have, on several occasions, ended up buying the software or donating to the company after using the torrented version if it's worth it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
I don't generally do that with games, but I do it frequently with music.

Honestly, it's so easy to legally buy and download games through Steam or any other distribution site that I almost always just buy it unless I think the game is going to suck, like this one.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »
Well, I was talking more about productivity software.  I think I've only torrented maybe 2 or 3 games ever.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
I think it would be good to go back to the old ID method of selling software - shareware the first few levels then charge for the rest. The reality is that too many turds would be flushed before people ot to the point where they would pay for the game so producers of bad games would not sell much...but would that be a bad thing?