Author Topic: Duke Demo  (Read 8997 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Duke Demo
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 12:06:47 PM »
I agree with Knuck.  There needs to be a reasonable return policy.  Now... I also understand that it would get crazy abuse.  Like people that buy a game, play it in a day or two and then return it.
More like: Someone will buy it, burn a copy of the discs, return it, and still play it.  You can't have the same type of return policy on digital goods as you can physical goods.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
Companies are trying to do that, but every time they do it's met with screams of "DAMN YOU DRM" from the internet

It sure is a good thing all these companies have the lawmakers in their pocket or they'd end up being abused by all the mean pirates out there.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »

I have gone down the torrent route in the past but often it's because the demo isn't sufficient to give something a real test drive.  And I have, on several occasions, ended up buying the software or donating to the company after using the torrented version if it's worth it.

I have torrented one game.  It sucked more balls than Duke.  I deleted it. 

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
Companies are trying to do that, but every time they do it's met with screams of "DAMN YOU DRM" from the internet

The real bitch about most DRM is that it is usually poorly implemented causing issues for those who purchase the product legally.  Pirates and hackers are by nature immune to most of the ill effects of DRM and thus it generally only hurts the paying customer.

Good DRM is generally viewed positively.  Steam would be be an example of successful DRM that users tend to like.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »
You can't have the same type of return policy on digital goods as you can physical goods.

Do you still deem this true considering Steam and other similar services?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
You can't have the same type of return policy on digital goods as you can physical goods.

Do you still deem this true considering Steam and other similar services?
Steam is a steaming pile of shit.  I fucking hate that service.  Portal seems to be the only game I've played through steam that wasn't ruined by steam.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
In what way?  I don't use Steam much but when I have it's been perfect.  :dunno:

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
Forced updates of single player games is my major pet peeve.  Especially when that update breaks saved games.  Slow, clunky, and not intuitive interface.  Rainbow 6: LV was buggy as hell in the steam version.  And ultimately I'm not comfortable with the idea that if they were to *poof* I wouldn't have access to games I paid for.

I haven't used it a ton to know if I just got unlucky or not but so far I totally dislike steam.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:45:58 PM by Mike »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
The non-steam version of R6:LV was pretty damn buggy, too.

> The real bitch about most DRM is that it is usually poorly implemented causing issues for those who purchase the product legally.

Yeah, it's usually terrible, but even when it's done well there are going to be complaints from people, whether they're pirates or not.  Like you said, Steam is the exception but lots of people hate it, too.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »

I have torrented one game.  It sucked more balls than Duke.  I deleted it. 
This is simply impossible

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
I have been using Steam almost daily for years.  Since 2005 I or so.  My experience has been the opposite of yours Mike.  Steam has not been without minor issues, but overall has been great.  I appreciate always having the latest updates to my games and find that the Steam versions work at least as well as the disc versions.  The interface has improved over the years and works well for what it needs to do.  I also like that disc or no I have access to all of my games at any PC anywhere I go.  As far as your games just going "poof" I can live with that.  I could count on one hand the number of disc based titles that I have kept in perfect installation shape with all of the necessary documentation.  Steam makes it worth the risk.  Last but not least the sale prices on Steam are second to none.  With a little patience fifty percent off sales are common and seventy five to ninety percent are far from unheard of.  Makes gaming a good bit more affordable.

Now that I am done cheer leading Steam, Good Old Games, Blizzard, and Direct To Drive are all reasonable alternatives to various online games with designed in DRM.  Most of these folks occasionally have great sales also.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
GOG is fan-damn-tastic.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
I just utilized their ongoing sale to pick up Fallout 1 and 2.  Hope they are good.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
They are also fantastic

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
What was the game you torrented, knuck?