Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 9942 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Oblivion
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »
PC version...

I am at level 30 now.  I have yet to start the main mission.  I think in the next level or two I will work on solving the main mission.  I keep getting into these mini-missions that are so fun that I just never get to the main story.

An amazing game.  I would give it a 9.5/10.

Beautiful graphics.  Immaginative missions that constantly innovate and keep the game from getting boring or repetitive.  They also have a HUGE set of "dungeons" that are good for simple run and gun tactics for when you wanna just hack and burn (or zap or freeze or...).  Also the missions are well organized and designed to lead from one to the next.  Decent sense of humor, good characcter interface, and conversations that mirror events that you usually have a hand in causing.  Great writing.

Save and load times are short and easy.  Save often.  Then.  Save more often.

Great at the patented Far Cry make you jump because something sneaked up on you.  Arrrrhhhh!

Re-playability has got to be near infinite.

PS3 version rocks too.

Negatives?

It takes a bit to get used to the in game motion.  I dunno why.  It may have just been me.  The movement is the same as BF2 but I just found it a little odd feeling.  Maybe because the world is so well developed in comparison.

On occasion you get to a point in a mission that you are like WTF?  These points are rare enough though and often included for good reason (you just don't see it at the time).

"Dungeon" maps could be better.  I get lost sometimes and it annoys the shit outta me. 

I understand that the XBox version sucks to play.

That's about it.

Anyone else?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »
> Save and load times are short and easy.  Save often.  Then.  Save more often.

I've probably saved 500 times in my current game :)  It's just so easy to quicksave that there's no reason not to.  Plus it helps me when the game crashes every hour or so

> On occasion you get to a point in a mission that you are like WTF?  These points are rare enough though and often included for good reason (you just don't see it at the time).

Usually just following the indicator on the compass makes things pretty obvious to me

> "Dungeon" maps could be better.  I get lost sometimes and it annoys the shit outta me.

Pick an uncompleted quest and bam, the compass will point back to the exit

You forgot the biggest pro: NO CLIFF RACERS

Also the biggest con: Scaled enemies

I completed the main quest at about level 8 by becoming King Shit of the Mage's Guild and making a spell that drains health 100pts for 1 second. That's enough to kill 99% of the guys in the game, and for some reason it's ridiculously cheap mana-wise.

After you beat the main quest (which is awesome, btw), pick up Shivering Isles.  It's a really neat quest and I'm enjoying it much more than the original quest.  Make sure you download the latest patch though, or you'll run into a pretty huge bug (any newly created item will disappear if you reload a saved game or drop it.  This applies to stuff you create yourself as well as items you have just never picked up before, like quest items)

I'll give it a 9/10.  I don't know if I like it more than Morrowind, but it's damn close.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
You know, now that I've updated my system I should really give it another whirl.  My biggest beef with it was how slow it made my system.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:06:56 AM »
If you turn down the detail a little (especially the grass), it helps a ton.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:18:59 AM »
I do have slowdowns but they are in very limited areas and pretty rare.  They have never lasted long and have yet to annoy me. 

My system is a P4-478-3.4GHz, 2GB DDR, 6800 series 256MB Nvidia.  Intel 875 (not PCIx) mobo.  X-fi audio.  By todays standards an old system.

Thanks for the advice.  I should become king shit in the mages guild as well.  I have a nasty electrocution spell and a fireball spell that can be nasty.

I find that running and jumping to the high spots (where most nasties can't reach you- much) and frying them at my leisure is the best way to survive.  I sneak alot also.

My favorite quest BY FAR was the theives guild.  I am now the Grey Fox (king shit in the theives guild).  The toys you get in this mission are awesome. 

I also won the dark brotherhood quest.  Good one.

Have you played the painting quest?  Very imaginative.  Same with the guy in the coma quest.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »
Really you should become king shit in every guild :P

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
I've played most of the side quests.  My favorite is by far the Dark Brotherhood quest where you have a bunch of people in a mansion and have to kill them all.  If you do it right the last two people will attack each other.  Right now my guy is the head of the fighter's guild, mage's guild, dark brotherhood, and champion of the arena.  I've done a couple quests for the thieve's guild but i was concentrating more on the main quest than that.  My guy's not much of a thief anyways.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
Yeah I love the mansion one.  So great :P

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:55:42 PM »
The mansion one rocked!

The arena was by far the most difficult!!!  Now I beat on three Min Lords once a week for $$.  I own three houses plus my Grey Fox flat.  I have shitloads of cash.  I am independantly wealthy.  Nothing at all I can't buy.

Your turn Ober!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:06:44 PM »
Yeah yeah... I'm looking into it.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
When you add mods to the game that add/enhance/fix a lot of whats either broken, annoying, or missing from the original game, it easily jumps to a rating of 20 out of 10. Theres no way I could go back to playing it unmodded, it would feel like it got lobotomized.

One of the best gets rid of the scaling issue, adds tons of new enemies and weapons, and actually adds challenge to the game instead of the original which feels like you could conquer the world at level 1. Plus the dozens of landscape editors that enhance and add to the scenery to actually make the forests and swamps feel like actual forest and swamps.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 07:48:44 AM »
There are night elves and orcs

I had a really good orc fighter for awhile.  His name was Phil.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
I started playing Shivering Isles but went back to the main Oblivion game and got lost. I just bought a new graphics card for my ageing system so I can now actually play the game at a decent resolution with lots of nice graphical goodies; the water is particularly nice now and some of the views are quite extraordinary, when your character isn't getting raped by bears, that is.

Quote from: PJYelton
When you add mods to the game that add/enhance/fix a lot of whats either broken, annoying, or missing from the original game, it easily jumps to a rating of 20 out of 10

I like the sound of some of those mods - care to suggest some specifically and perhaps where to get them?

I tried making the 100 damage for 1 sec kill-spell but need a 'destruction' of 100 to use it. :(

Currently sporting home made daedric 'thew' armour (+8, 9 or 10 strength per item) so one, maybe two whacks with the daedric longsword, especially on the x6 sneaky backstab usually puts an end to most things or leaves them reeling and defenceless.

The only mod I use this time around is a 'feather ring' - I just can't stand the weight restriction system and running back and forth several times to the same area.

Major pet hate: kill the bad guys, break dozens of lockpicks on the most difficult of locks, throw open the chest and find - a tan plate. :mad:
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 04:17:13 PM »
> I tried making the 100 damage for 1 sec kill-spell but need a 'destruction' of 100 to use it.

If you do it so it just damages health you should only need a destruction of 50.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 07:58:47 PM »
How about a "Tan Plate" mod?  It gets rid of all of the fucking usless shit in the whole game and replaces it with AT LEAST 25 pieces of gold.

Anyone?