Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 10062 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I would but I don't have the cash or time to invest in a new game.   :(
Get used to that..... daddy.

:lol:

this game looks awsome
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
Woot, just found out that this game just got shipped to me from GameFly!  I almost never get anything from the top of my queue especially any new releases.  Saves me money because I would have totally gone out and bought it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »
Game owns but I'm afraid I've overhyped myself for it, though.

Still pretty awesome to lasso someone and drag them through town or cheat at poker and kill suckas in a duel or even just ride around picking flowers and hunting deer

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »
The kids in the clan said that the controls for the horse are wonky.  True?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
It's a horse, not a car with legs.  Once you realize that it's a piece of cake.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 09:48:36 AM »
I will mention that to them.   :thumbsup:

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:26 PM »
Played it for an hour last night, really enjoying it so far.  Riding a horse is a little hard to get used to but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

This isn't a complaint, I'm just a little surprised, I expected to start the game as some kind of bad ass who you have the option of playing nice.  Instead he's been Mr "Yes Ma'am" gentleman and I actually felt bad when I robbed the local jailhouse safe.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
Yeah, the thread on SA has a lot of people complaining (not that you were) that the "story Marston" and the "sandbox Marston" aren't really the same guy.  I think it's kind of refreshing to not play a psychopath like you usually do in these games.  I always feel kind of bad just killing people for no reason, and Marston being a semi-likable guy makes me avoid it even more.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 12:57:10 PM »
Completely agree, I kind of like it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »
I just got into Mexico.  The song that plays when you roll in there is awesome, and it finished just as I reached a perfect spot to camp.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
Only had time to play a couple missions the last few days, but something is starting to bug me a little... I know the game is a sandbox and you can do just about anything you want, but is there any freedom in how you complete the mission objectives? 

GTA always had missions that played out like movies, where if you didn't follow what the director intended for you to do at all times you failed, they even went to the extreme to make certain people bullet proof even when the mission was to kill the person, until you got past a series of scripted pitfalls like ambulances cutting you off in a car chase.  Are the later missions in Red Dead Redemption like that?  That would bum me out.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
Most missions are accomplished in a pretty clear way, so maybe it is like you said it was for GTA, but I haven't noticed it, really.

The only thing I've noticed like that is that if you're in a duel for a story mission, you have to kill the other guy; you can't just disarm him

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
Missions being straightforward isn't that big of a deal, although it would be nice to once in a while be told what you need to do and its up to you to find out how you want to solve it. 

What bugs me though which I see a lot in GTA is the missions throw curveballs at you similar to how a movie builds tension.  Its nearly impossible to beat a mission the first time through, you have to play it once or multiple times to find out where all of the gotchas are, then replay to avoid the gotchas.  What they call DIAS style play, or DO IT AGAIN STUPID style. 

For example, you have to catch someone in a car chase, at a set time say 2 minutes in an ambulance flies across the screen cutting you off for no reason and allowing the car to escape.  So you have to play the whole mission again, this time anticipating the ambulance even though there isn't any reason for your character to do so.  Or the example above where your prey is indestructable because killing him too soon would mean you miss out on some long orchestrated chase scene the director had envisioned for you.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »
Must say I'm having more fun just wandering the desert at sunset than in all of the God of Wars, Bioshocks and Modern Warfares combined.  This open sandbox style and western setting are a perfect match.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »
Just ran into one of your situations last night - a story mission where you wander into a cemetery and there's a guy there that you duel after a cutscene.  He killed me in the duel the first time, so I decided to see if I could just pop him to start and be done with it.  As soon as I drew my gun, it failed the mission :(