Author Topic: well this sucks  (Read 2521 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
well this sucks
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
So today i got a SMART error on boot that wont go away, telling me my hard drive is failing. So i downloaded the diagnostic tool from Western Digital, and the SMART log shows that its a reallocated sector issue. Says the threshold is 140, im at 139 now.

My understanding is that it is time to backup the data i have, because the hard drive is shot. IIRC the 140 basically means there are 140 "replacement" sectors on the hard drive to handle damaged ones. Once you run out of them, thats that.

Now i cant afford another drive. So is there anything i can do? im going to be using this thing now and hoping i dont get caught in the middle of working on something with a non functional computer....ugh.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: well this sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
Scavenge from another computer or try some other low cost option is the only thing I can think of. Backup the data and just hope it lasts long enough until you can afford another drive.

Running with a LiveCD might work for a little while at least to keep your PC running if the drive does down.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
That's a good idea for just keeping my sanity. When I'm running live can I edit and upload files?

A new 300gb drive is 79, a 250 (what I have) is 69 so might as well go bigger. Just wish I had it.

Might try and get something off CL and slave this one for data dumping till I can afford a new primary.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »
I'm having (almost) no issues at all running under linux. I think im going to kill the vista install and use that space for a second copy of my data. Will just run this thing as long as i can and keep dumping to the secondary every day and DVD once a week until i can get another drive.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »
If you need Vista, maybe just try running it in VMWare or VirtualBox.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »
i dont *need* it, i have it for games and for my blackberry. But im selling the BB (i dont need a fn BB) and i dont need th games right now.