Author Topic: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!  (Read 82810 times)

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2007, 05:16:49 PM »
well i got an incline bench for my birthday.  haven't put it together yet, probably won't get a chance until at least sunday.  should make doing weights a bit more enjoyable.  at the moment the gyms are just jammed packed full of people (must be that $0 joining fee) and it's a struggle to get onto any machines or free's as it is.  so i'll work out a routine and post it here and have cheez pick it to pieces.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2007, 06:33:12 PM »
Haven't started in on the weight training yet.  I'm working about 14-15 hours tomorrow, so no chance there, have to vote on Satuday and am working another 8 hours.  So it's not going to happen anytime soon until next week.

Anyhow, last night I did 5km (about 3.1 miles) in 30 mins.  6 minutes a km, which I'm happy enough with though I would really like to get it down to an even 5.  Hope by the end of the year I'll be down to 4 minutes.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »
Urgh, 4 days off and back into it tonight.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2007, 05:15:04 PM »
I'm surprised at how much my body can take - I should be sore today as I threw everything I had into it.  HIIT on the cycle machine is an absolute killer, I felt like I was going to spew towards the end.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2007, 06:40:57 PM »
I'm not usually sore after HIIT, just weights

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »
7km in 44 m 30 sec.  6'30 per km.  Treadmill.  I'm happy with the distance but the speed is pretty ordinary.  I want to try to shave at least 5 mins off my time tonight.  I need to keep on a pace of at least 10-12 km/h.  I find pacing so much more harder to maintain on a treadmil.  It's far easier to do this on the road or bush track than it is on the treadmill (because there's no varation), it's just flat or on an upward angle, no way to pick up speed going downhill or to push up hills.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2007, 06:28:49 PM »
2.4km in 11m 50s - shaved a full minute and a half off per km.  Very fucking happy with that effort.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2008, 06:30:56 PM »
So after a ridiculous hiatus, the past week I've been doing something active every single day, including getting back into lifting, cardio, abs, and some running on the streets.  How do I stop from 3 hour naps following that from happening?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
Make yourself a post workout shake - high in protein and carbs.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
yeah for me, I finally have a reason to post in this thread.

So after a little coaxing from my doctor (2 years of him explaining to me, on a quarterly basis, why I'm going to die young) I've started exercising!

I had to start out slow because I'm so out of shape (I'm one of those people who can get winded walking up a couple flights of stairs) but after two weeks of nearly-everyday workouts, I'm comfortably doing 30-minutes of cardio each morning (mostly on one of those elliptical machines) and I think I'm ready to push it up a notch.  I'm just not sure what that means?

Should I just keep doing what I'm doing but for longer or more times a day? Should I start weight training and upper-body stuff?  :dunno:
My goals are not really focused on gaining muscle or strength, but mostly on losing weight and reducing my (apparently very-high) risk of cardiovascular disease.

The small gym I've been using in my apartment complex' basement has a couple treadmills, a stationary bike and the elliptical machine as well as a bunch of weight-lifting equipment, including one of those multi-bench monstrosities for leg curling and bench pressing and some other stuff that I don't really know how to use.

I have to start anything new at a slower/lighter pace but I'm motivated and, now that I've broken through the "I just can't do it" barrier, I'm ready to really do this.

Thoughts?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Good for you!

I think if you feel comfortable doing 30 minutes of cardio you should try to push yourself harder or go a little bit longer. If you have access to a pool at any point, this is also a spectacular way to exercise your entire body.

As you said, weight training shouldn't be your highest priority, but if you feel motivated, I would begin working on the large muscle groups (chest, legs, back--no bicep curls!).  Whatever you do, don't forget you need a strong core.  This means you also need to stretch and work your abs/back.

I'm supposed to be leaving now to go back to Pittsburgh, but ask away if you have any other questions.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
If you've got any way to do squats or deadlifts in your gym, do them.  Muscles in your legs are the biggest in your body and improving those will go a long way towards your general health.  Deadlifts work basically everything below your pecs and squats work almost as many muscles.

I disagree with jen and think that weightlifting should be a priority for basically everyone.  If done properly and with cardio (not on the same days), it is the most effective way to lose weight (exercise wise, that is.   your diet is the single most important thing you can change to affect your weight)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Good for you, Micah! :thumbsup:

stealth

• Jackass V
Good on you mate, well done :)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Having the motivation to stick to a routine is even harder than the excersize itself. Kudos :thumbsup: