Author Topic: Bandwidth  (Read 2826 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Bandwidth
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:44:48 PM »
Hey,

I get emails monthly to notify me of user statistics on my website.  I was usually around a few hundred MBs of bandwidth, this month I was at around 4GBs.  It appears a lot of my bandwidth is coming from Google images, but I cant seem to find any andy moog images when searching google images. (photos.php has the highest number of hits - page where Moog images are).

I have something lke 800GBs of transfer a month, so Im not worried, just wondering why I cant find the images.

Any suggestions as to why I dont see the images when I search?

Thanks

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »
you could also create a tracking script to see how people are getting to the page.  if its from google, the keywords they use will be in the URL string.

add something like:

$url = $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'];
mysql_query("INSERT INTO tracking_table (page,referer) VALUES ('photos.php', '$url')");

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:10:37 AM »
Maybe Google's just spying on you.

:paranoid:

Damn. We need a tin foil hat smiley.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »
ooooh, i like the tin foil hat icon. we need that for sure.

anyway, in a bizarre coincidence, my coworker today mentioned to me that our servers were taking a huge hit from google image searches.

We're a pretty big site and subject to DOS attacks on a regular basis with attackers becoming very creative...we were speculating on if google is being used as a new tool in the DOS jack-ass arsenal
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
All the google image search hits are probably because of the Guess Who game. Sorry!