Author Topic: airport v. laptop policy  (Read 2913 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
airport v. laptop policy
« on: May 06, 2007, 12:02:26 AM »
I have to fly to florida this week to apprehend a fugitive, and its the first time i am flying since like 1998. I am taking my laptop on the plane with me, as a carryon with my files, cell phone, etc in my backpack lappy case. For those of you who travel, i need some feedback. I'm VERY concerened they will want to put my laptop through the xray machine. Last time i flew i took my pc (tower) and packed it in the luggage on the way down. Needless to say when i got there my harddrive was shot, demagnatized. On the way back i kept the new drive in my carry on, and they made a big thing out of me not letting them xray it. They told me to "turn it on" and demonstrate it worked.....fucking morons.

That was pre 911, and now im scared they will xray the laptop and fry it, and then im SOL and at a HUGE loss. Anyone give feedback as to how they inspect, handle, etc my laptop as a carry on item?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: airport v. laptop policy
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »
i've never actually brought my laptop on a plane, but I've flown a half dozen times in the last year and theres always someone in line with me who has a lap top.

They make you turn it on, to prove that it works and isn't a bomb you managed to stuff into a laptop frame.

Then I'm pretty sure it goes through the x-ray machine, but I don't think it does any damage....after all, they x-ray everybodys lap top and I've never heard about computers getting fried.  They always x-ray my cellphone and digital camera w/ no problems.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 01:44:34 AM »
when I flew in Nov they made me take it out of it's carrying case and send it through the xray by it self.  Never had to turn it on or anything.  Really as long as it is off while being xrayed I don't think there is going to be any problem.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 01:49:07 AM »
it seems i have more to worry about from the conveyer belt motors and the nearby x-ray machine. Seems to depend on security working that day, but im reading alot of incidents where the personell have scanned them with handheld metal detectors and killed them. I'm a little less worried about the xray now, but in general im not thrilled about the idea of the unknown crap to come lol.

Obviously i will make several backups, but it would really suck to get on the plane and find i have a brick. I also read alot of table trays have magnets in them now, and that can cause problems.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:24:56 AM »
I flew several times a year with my laptop in college.  You have to send it through the x-ray machine. Mine has gone through countless times.  I've never had any problem whatsoever with the harddrive from it.  I've had trouble carrying it around in a regular backpack instead of a laptop case, but never from the x-ray machine...

Lets rewind here though...I've been away a while, but a fugitive?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »
my backpack has a laptop pouch in it :)

I'm doing the fugitive recovery stuff again, im back with my original team. It's alot of fun, i missed it.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:53:53 AM »
Good.  I'm glad you're working again.

I think your best bet is to put the laptop through the x-ray machine; I doubt you'll have any trouble.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 01:55:45 PM »
I flew a few years ago (post 9/11) with a laptop and it wasn't a problem. Give yourself a little bit of extra time though since you'll be a special person. Make it easy for them to pull it out and turn it on and stuff. I was traveling with a friend so they went through first and kept and eye on the guy doing the security stuff to the laptop to make sure everything went OK.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
I simply want to agree.

Fucking morons.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 03:23:44 PM »
Does this mean thta if I want someone found (so that I can say Hello long lost friend) you can find them??

If so lemme know!

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »
only if they have a criminal background. Try using something like intellius

turns out i dont need to fly to FL, hes in NY now.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
I've flown a lot recently without issue.  They just ask you to put the laptop in its own try and push it through like everything else.  They do this like a million times/day... don't worry.  You're not going to lose anything.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
I've brought my laptop on the plane many times (actually, I've travelled on planes with 3 different laptops). All go through the x-ray machine, all have been fine.

They used to make you turn electronics on, but not anymore. Now they will x-ray and randomly, they will swab (without actually touching) looking for bomb materials.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 11:43:42 AM »
Thanks guys :) I'm driving to NY but i will be flying out to arizona soon too.