Author Topic: what should i recommend to my brother?  (Read 2767 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
what should i recommend to my brother?
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »
As i've previously mentioned, my old brother has decided to go back to school full time for his masters.  He just finished up his first week and called me to get advice on a new laptop. 

It seems that his 2-year old laptop is woefully inadequate to run the massive GIS software required of some of his classes.

Anyway, I'm going to talk to him again tonight but i'm not really sure what to suggest.  I know he needs lots of RAM (because we're talking huge data/image files) and a fast processor.  But I also know he doesn't want to spend a lot (he just gave up his job and they are living on his wife's income and their life savings)

I haven't been in the market for a new PC for a couple years now so i'm not really sure whats available...

What should I tell him?  (other then he's SOL)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
Re: what should i recommend to my brother?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »
thats a decent start. I'll send him the link and maybe google a few others.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 09:35:28 PM »
HP on a payment plan. He can get something to do everything he needs for 20-30 bucks a month
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:40:49 AM »
micah

Woot has a universal dock that maybe your bro and his new laptop could put to good use today (Sunday).

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:49:28 AM »
was that your way of sneaking in a woot thread without everyone beating up on you? LOL.