Author Topic: Testing SMS code with an SMS phone number  (Read 4088 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Testing SMS code with an SMS phone number
« on: December 01, 2008, 02:30:59 PM »
Do you guys know of any way to test an SMS service or code without actually sending SMS messages to a phone?

I don't have an SMS plan but I'm needing to code an SMS service. My boss has one but I think it's going to be a pain to keep sending him messages.

I don't think this is possible which is why once again, I think SMS is a terrible technology and really can't wait for Jabber or something to replace it.
This signature intentionally left blank.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
Re: Testing SMS code with an SMS phone number
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
how are you sending the SMS messages from your app?  Most gateways or aggregators will provide you with a set of test numbers and possible an emulator to test your application against...this also allows you to test without incurring charges via your gateway or aggregator.

if you're sending via an smtp gateway, it will work like any other email account.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
U can use mine if u want I got nothing to do rest of the day. My number is in safe contact
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »
We're using MessageMedia (http://www.message-media.com/). The outbound I don't care about since we have a couple accounts but it's not designed (or we didn't sign up for) inbound messages (only on replies). I need a way to test sending messages to multiple people and making sure they get there. And rather than trying to coordinate with a bunch of people I'm looking for a creative way to do that. Since I'd like to make sure that the system we're creating works. But since I don't think it's possible, I'm going to have to resort to just using the other folks in the office that have texting plans.

We had the same problem when testing our phone calling systems but that's when I discovered GrandCentral. I haven't found the equivalent thing for SMS yet.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »
I only have experience with Simplewire.  The product we used them on has been shelved, and they've been purchased by OpenMarket.

They provided us with a testing portal with several test numbers and phone emulators.  When we sent a sms to a test number, it would be displayed in the emulator interface.  we could then respond to the test message using the emulator, and their testing system would hit our callbacks.  We were able to test our interaction with the API end to end without using live numbers.  It provided us with all the integration test coverage we needed; properly calling the API.

Hopefully message-media has a similar offering because i agree that coordinating several phones all day long is for the birds

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
How did you like the OpenMarket provider?  Pricing and features and such?

We picked Message-Media simply because it was a low cost solution for the outbound stuff (quick setup and low monthly in case we don't like the solution). It works in a similar principle to Google's new SMS from the GTalk I think, they share a bunch of outbound numbers and are simply an aggregater.  We still need a solution for inbound but short codes really don't seem like the right fit and take too long to setup (and cost too much for prototyping).

The setup is simple and such but I'm likely going to need to write a wrapper app to add some flexibility that they just don't have (like for checking messages). They only give one checkReplies() method which won't work for us since we're looking to make use of it as a service for multiple customers.

I don't think our provider has such a thing for their testing, but I'll have to check into it.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
we were pleased with their service.  This was back in 2003-2004.  They were very knowledgeable about the space, and we learned a lot from them.  They handled all of the short code provisioning for us...for a fee of course.  I think OpenMarket is offering more boxed solutions instead of the raw network access for third party developers.

Our software operated on a dedicated short code provided by simplewire.  At the time this was the only way (at least that we could determine) to get two-way sms functionality in application.  It was very expensive and was around 98% of our start up cost.  Nevertheless, their testing portal was slick and allowed us to test without incurring any cost (other than short code provisioning).  I think the short code access ended up costing us around $13000 over the year the product was in production.  It didn't generate enough revenue to justify the costs (mainly because i now think it was a bad idea), so we couldn't afford to keep it up.

On a side note, we had developed most of our application before finding simplewire using a GSM modem (~$200), a cheap cell phone with text plan (~$50) and an linux box running Kannel (http://www.kannel.org/index.shtml).  This setup allowed us to prototype on the cheap...though we all had sms plans to test against.  This allowed us to test inbound sms messages against our app...you simply put the cheap phone's sim card in the modem, and send your inbound message to the cheap phone number...kannel links the inbound message to your app...easy and cheap way to test before investing in the short code.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:21:53 PM »
I've seen Kannel before and tried looking for the GSM modem thing (even SIM hosting) but I can't find anyone that sells just the GSM modem. All the solutions I've seen generally revolve around hooking a Nokia up to a box with a cable and that's just not a good idea I don't think.

Know where to find those GSM modems these days? Or a model number to search ebay or something with?

We're still looking for inbound solutions and anything cheap is good for the proof of concepts.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
Sometimes they are on craigslist but ebay is generally the easiest to find them. GSM modems are handy. I'm not sure on model numbers but the four I had were all motorola.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:40:15 PM »
I found the link to the one we purchased on buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/multi-tech-multimodem-gsm-gprs-external-wireless-modem-multi-tech/q/loc/101/10409838.html

it looks like they're sold out, but it will at least give you the specs in order to search ebay, cdw, etc...

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:59:25 PM »
We used them for tracking people/things lol

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 04:13:22 PM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »
Nice, looks like Siemens has some cool looking products.