Author Topic: Alternative to Photoshop?  (Read 3358 times)

salvelinus

• Founders
Alternative to Photoshop?
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
I'm in charge of a website for a non-profit group I belong to, http://www.pigeonrivercountryforest.org/.
Anyway, the ISP designed the home page gratis, which was nice. But they did it in Photoshop (I think), which we don't have, and the links are embedded in the page itself, not the text for the links. The text is embedded in the photo, I guess. This means that if I try to use another background image, links don't line up with the text.
How can I get links to match up with the text?  Thanks.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Alternative to Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
I can't see the page but it sounds like they used an image map which imo is pretty lame way to do it.

If it was me I would redo the page with my image, using div's and css but again I'm not sure exactly how they did it.

A free alternative to ps (and better imo) is GIMP
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »
2nd GIMP
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 05:03:47 PM »
It takes some getting used to but its more powerful then photoshop and its a million times easier. In a week I was doing thing on gimp I spent months on ps trying to learn
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 05:20:07 PM »
It takes some getting used to but its more powerful then photoshop and its a million times easier. In a week I was doing thing on gimp I spent months on ps trying to learn

I don't think GIMP is more powerful then PS, just that it does as much as the average photoshop user needs and then some.

Photoshop has automation tool and Pantone handling.  I have tried gimp in a while but I recall it having limitation for profession photo editors and publishers.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »
Gimp has and supports everything photoshop does, even photoshop specific things and formats. Gimp also has more out of the box then ps and has a very wide spread extension and support community.

Gimp does everything photoshop does faster and easier and things photoshop doesn't do.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »
I don't know I'd go that far, but GIMP is really good for free.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »
I have a friend wh has his own business doing graphics for everything from business cards to wrapping buses and such. He used to be a huge photoshop flagshipper and after toying with gimp he did a full 360 and won't touch photoshop.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 08:35:42 PM »
Doesn't sound like he is doing high end photography though.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:42:54 PM »

I don't think GIMP is more powerful then PS, just that it does as much as the average photoshop user needs and then some.

Photoshop has automation tool and Pantone handling.  I have tried gimp in a while but I recall it having limitation for profession photo editors and publishers.

GIMP has script-fu and python-fu for automation, you can actually write python apps that automate tasks using GIMP as an image processing library. Then they show up in your toolbar to run (you can download them too for the regular users out there that don't know python).

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
He does a lot of highend work. The man's business is pulling high six figures a year. He even does correction work where photographers will send him photos that aren't quite what they should be.

He's done work for maxim and sport illustrated.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 10:33:04 PM »
Picasa for easy to do stuff.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 07:36:09 AM »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."