Author Topic: Data leakage - cell phone  (Read 4080 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Data leakage - cell phone
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:43:06 AM »
So I just got a notice that my wife and are are within 10% of our data usage for the month.  I went to look at our usage and there's a TON of data being used despite us being on wifi.  For example, there seems to be consistent hits at like 2 or 4 AM while we're both at home sleeping and on the wifi.  I don't understand why our phones would be using cellular data when we're on wifi.

Do you guys see similar usage?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Data leakage - cell phone
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »
I had this problem before. It was either the phone losing the wifi connection or the home router disconnecting and the phone not reconnecting.  The phone would often show it was connected to the router but just not using it for data transfers.  If that's what happening, then I assume the data usage is apps updating or something similar? Make sure you have your phone to update only when you're on wifi.  You can check you data usage setting see to see what app might be the culprit.

My high data usage stemmed from my kid waking up at 4 or 5am, taking my phone and watching youtube videos for an hour or two with the phone disconnected from wifi for whatever reason. It got so bad that I made a point of manually turning off data when I was at home just to be safe.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 11:53:22 AM »
Lock you phone Micah!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
I guess what pisses me off is the fact that so many apps can ignore the wifi.  That seems like a major flaw.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
Lock your phone Micah!

so I started locking my phone, but after the 10th failed unlock attempt the phone automatically wipes itself.  Happened twice. I just taught my kids the password
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »
IIRC there is a way to setup android so that if it is unlocked with a particular fingerprint it goes into a reduced mode.

Or start handing out whippings!