Author Topic: The Hot Zone  (Read 4198 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
The Hot Zone
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:32:31 AM »
Non-Fiction book that my dad told me to read.  It's about major viruses (Ebola and it's variants and one called Marburg) that all started in Africa and one strain got transported over here by experiment monkeys.  It's kinda creepy because the "outbreak" that happened here in the US involves the area that I live in and an army base less than 5 miles from where I live where they still do this kind of research.

A woman that my wife works with said that she could tell when they were burning the monkeys at the base here, because the air used to smell like really bad bacon (burning monkey flesh).

It's a pretty good read and I just thought I'd mention it.  Oh, and this all happened within the last 20 years here (late 80's).

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
The Hot Zone
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 11:12:43 AM »
I read that in high school - it was pretty damn good.  Written pretty much like a fiction novel, too.

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
The Hot Zone
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 01:15:19 PM »
Yeah, I read that in my...freshman? sophomore? year. It was great. Everyone loved it.

I don't think they let them read it any more though. At least, I don't think that anyone read it this year.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
The Hot Zone
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 03:24:43 PM »
I thought it was really good up until the last 30 pages or so.  Him going to the cave wasn't all that fascinating.  It does make me want to look in the phonebook to see if I can find some of those people tho... he did use some of their real names.

>>Written pretty much like a fiction novel, too.
Yeah... I liked that about it.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
The Hot Zone
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 08:49:01 PM »
That was a pretty good book. You might also like "The Demon in the Freezer" by the same author. (It's about smallpox)

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
The Hot Zone
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 10:12:52 PM »
gonna have to look into it.

on a side note, npr was running a series on increaseing cases of marburg in africa.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
The Hot Zone
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 08:30:58 AM »
yeah... my wife said she heard that about a month ago.  Hopefully it stays over there and they can stop the spread.