Author Topic: paper tablet  (Read 6671 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
paper tablet
« on: September 28, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
Any of you guys use a paper tablet like remarkable to take notes? I have a notebook by the computer and take it with me when I go see clients - I just like writing things down with a pen. I tried my phone, and a traditional tablet, but it just wasn't for me. I think a paper tablet might work better - I just want to get a really good one. Any recommendations?

https://remarkable.com/
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: paper tablet
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
I've tried tons of options - OneNote, Evernote, Google Keep both on a laptop or tablet.  I've tried to write with my finger but it's kind of useless.  I've tried to write with a stylus but I don't love it.  I've heard of the paper tablets but never had a chance to try one.  If you check it out, let us know.  Then again, these days I'm always sitting at my desk and I keep notes in the above mentioned places digitally.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 05:34:57 PM »
Years and years ago I was anxiously waiting for the NoteSlate to be released as they promised that it would feel more like writing on paper than on glass but it never materialized.

I'm with ya that I hate writing on a phone or tablet (even using a stylus) but it just isn't the same.  I think one issue, that is mostly mental, is that I like my electronic notes to be "clean" and complete whereas my paper notes tend to be scrawls that are intended to life for a short time before they transition to a more permanent home.  Or they are sketches and the like.  Something about knowing that pen and paper being low tech frees me up from trying to do more with them.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
I like writing on paper too, but recently I got a new iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil II and it's crazy how fine the resolution is. It's still writing on smooth glass instead of paper but overall I'm still impressed with the experience. I'll use it to take notes in a meeting and sketch diagrams. I also use it as a virtual white board a lot in video calls. I use the Good Notes app which has a "laser pointer" feature so I can point and circle things on diagrams. Pricey but I like it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 01:36:55 PM »
My wife basically built her business drawing on an iPad with an apple pencil.  It's amazing the things she can do and the capabilities of the drawing apps.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 09:19:40 AM »
I'm hoping that this remarkable pad will be more like reading on a kindle then an ipad - does that make sense? I did ask santa for one, so if I was a good boy this year, i will review in a few months :D
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 11:09:12 AM »
I'm hoping that this remarkable pad will be more like reading on a kindle then an ipad - does that make sense?
Yep, very different experiences.  I love reading on my Kindle but not on a tablet.

I did ask santa for one, so if I was a good boy this year, i will review in a few months :D
So, you'll have to buy your own.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
I'm very in to the e-ink tablets, but I've never pulled the trigger to actually get one. I have an Oasis and do wish it was a bit bigger to read on. But I'm not sure I'd actually get the money's worth out of it so I've stuck to tablets.

I am curious how you like it though, if Santa brings it.

Before I cracked my Galaxy Tablet I did use it for drawing with the s-pen and stuff and liked that quite a bit. It was nice to have a sketch pad kind of thing.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 04:52:19 PM »

I did ask santa for one, so if I was a good boy this year, i will review in a few months :D
So, you'll have to buy your own.

Haha, I certainly hope not!  :afro:

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 11:06:06 AM »
there are so many extra things you have to pay for with remarkable - it is sort of putting me off. For example you have to pay extra for the pen! and even more for one that "erases" - and then there is a subscription service for the "cool" features. So I am looking for alternatives...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 12:36:01 PM »
based on what I'm reading, this is the only alternative that compares well https://supernote.com/

there is also this: https://shop.boox.com/products/maxlumi but way too big. they will be coming out with a smaller version in a few days though...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 01:16:43 PM »
I ended up ordering the remarkable2 instead of waiting for Christmas - I am able to expense it for work, so that's cool.

So far, this thing.....is freaking awesome. It is exactly what I imagined it would be - like writing on a kindle. It doesn't feel quite like paper, but it is damn close. there is no delay that I could notice. The thing is super slim but a little bit heavier than I would imagine. The cover is nice and magnetic. The pen is also magnetic, and I wonder how quickly I will use it when travelling - first glance I wish it has a more secure way to attach it to the device or the cover.

I'll update further as I get more time with it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »
Ahh... I see what you did there.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »
so no joke, this thing is pretty amazing. Actually, I am shocked that this is not more popular. I am certain that this will replace all my notebooks - I had one for work, another for fishing stuff, another for furniture, another for poetry, etc etc - here I can have folders and different notebooks within them.

Here are a few awesome things I discovered:
1. cut and paste anything! like today, I was making dining room table plans and I started making dimension notes and then I wanted to add another drawing to get a good calculation and there was no room for it on an earlier page and having the drawing after the dimension notes would not flow - well, guess what, I  just moved the section with the dimensions so that I can fit another drawing! I love that!
2. save a page or entire notebook as a pdf! the picture I attached is from a pdf from the document I was working on - in a blink of an eye you have a pdf - no more scanning or taking pictures. awesomeness
2a. the highlighter feature on the tablet is a little useless, but comes through as yellow highlighter on the pdf
3. handwriting to text - at least with my nasty handwriting, so far it was pretty spot on!
4. there are many different page templates - grid, ruled, ruled with margins, check list, etc etc - I think there is like 30 different ones!

Really, this device is worth every penny! I am so happy I got it.

I also found the correct position for the pen - there are two magnets, and when in this position where both are used to attach the pen, it is attached pretty solidly.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
I'm impressed.
Are you using the paid "connect" plan?  How functional is it without those paid extra features?  Is it easy to save files to port to another device..and/or back again?  Does it only export in PDF format or could you export, say, as a transparent PNG?  The screen share looks cool is it easy to use? does it require extra software or is it just a page in a browser...?  Is there like an online interface for accessing all your stuff?  Can you print from it?  So many questions.  But seriously interested in this.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."