Author Topic: Look out England!  (Read 3680 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Look out England!
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:11 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/06/19/bc.soc.galaxy.beckham.ap/index.html

I like the MLS; I watch all the games I can and I really think it is the correct way to get people to take American soccer seriously and to grow the sport in our country.  However, you'd have to be some special form of moron to believe MLS is as good as EPL.  To say they're better would require delusions that usually require hospitalization.

I do think that some of the teams could compete at that level, but they'd be fighting to avoid relegation pretty much every year

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: Look out England!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:22:31 PM »
>>The Los Angeles Galaxy president, who scored when the United States beat England 2-0 in a friendly match in 1993, told British newspapers that Major League Soccer is on a par with the Premier League.<<

Lay off the crack.

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:01:15 AM »
>>I do think that some of the teams could compete at that level, but they'd be fighting to avoid relegation pretty much every year<<

Kind of like a lot of the teams in the Premiership. 

stealth

• Jackass V
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:04:25 AM »
Who's your MLS team?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »
I sort of follow the Chicago Fire, but it's hard because most games aren't on TV here and there isn't a local team where I can just drive down to catch a match.  I'm about 3 hours from 3 different teams, so I just picked one.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »
Yeah, MLS has some dumb names.

There's a team named after your favorite energy drink; you should follow them (they're also good, unlike the Fire)
http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/t107/

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
And the US wins the CONCACAF Gold Cup?  How many times has Engerland done that?  That's right.

PS Fuck Mexico wooooo

Phil

• Best friends with Mr Donkey
  • Jackass III
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 05:10:20 AM »
That guy is a bit of a nut. I was far more impressed with the website after I clicked on the 'Swimsuit' link up the top.

But seriously, Beckham is past his best. That's not to say he isn't still good cos he is. As long as he can still float those inch perfect crosses in and score the occasional free kick he will have a place in any first 11.

Cheez am I right in thinking that there is a salary cap for most footie players in America? I wonder if the league might become more internationally competitive if that was lifted.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:11:25 AM »
> Cheez am I right in thinking that there is a salary cap for most footie players in America?

Yes you are.

> I wonder if the league might become more internationally competitive if that was lifted.

Conceivably, yes.  However the interest isn't here to do that right now.  If Beckham does really well there may be talk of it, but I doubt that will happen.  It's great if they're allowed to spend the money, but why would they spend all that money if there still isn't going to be anyone going to the games?