Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 64926 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »
so, asking for a friend... how do you feed your kids if you eat out every night and can't cook at home?
Is the friend:

1. Unknowledgeable about cooking?
2. Missing the equipment to cook?
3. Unmotivated to cook?
4. Other?

#2 is hard because without some basic equipment cooking at home really sucks.  #1 can be solved by reading recipes and youtube videos.  Just look for beginner recipes.  #3 is probably a much bigger conversation.

Roasting veggies isn't hard:
1. Oven to 350 - 400
2. Cut veggies and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper
3. Put in oven for 30 minutes turning once halfway through.  Adjust time based on how done you like things.

That basic recipe can be used for broccoli, carrots, asparagus, potatoes (cut into small pieces), and more.

Meat (beef, chicken, pork) basic recipe:
1. Skillet to medium heat
2. Season meat with salt and pepper (or other seasonings if you have them)
3. When pan is hot add olive oil and let that heat up.
4. Add meat to pan turning every 3-4 minutes (to keep a side from burning) until done.

I'd say about half my dinners are some variant of that.  For kids picky kids I have no idea sorry.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
Roasted veggies are delicious. Highly recommend.

For the less motivated among us, they sell vegetables in a bag (frozen or fresh) that you can microwave for 5 minutes and my kids actually eat them. They're lower on flavor and you sometimes need to give them an extra minute so they're soft enough for your kids to like, but I've found it to be a great option.

Similarly, in the food board we've had discussions about what we eat and a lot of those suggestions still apply, including easy to prepare frozen stuff from Trader Joe's (teriyaki chicken is a current favorite). Be careful with too much of the frozen dinner stuff because a lot of it is really unhealthy (frozen pizzas) so more than once or twice a week is probably not ideal. Generally I find Trader Joe's's stuff to be not too bad in that department.

Finally, most restaurants that you used to eat at are still open for take out food, so if you must you can still order take out.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2020, 05:04:05 PM »
BTW the https://www.mccormick.com/spices-and-flavors/herbs-and-spices/blends/perfect-pinch-vegetable-seasoning is a great general purpose seasoning for vegetables that need a bit of something.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2020, 05:37:03 PM »
So, the CDC is saying that school closures don't have an impact: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/considerations-for-school-closure.pdf
I think your understanding of that document and my understanding are different.  I read that short term closures don't have a big impact but the jury is still out on longer closures.  Also, that document contradicts itself by saying school closures aren't as effective as social isolation.... but in a lot of ways they are the same.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »
So, the CDC is saying that school closures don't have an impact: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/considerations-for-school-closure.pdf
I think your understanding of that document and my understanding are different.  I read that short term closures don't have a big impact but the jury is still out on longer closures.  Also, that document contradicts itself by saying school closures aren't as effective as social isolation.... but in a lot of ways they are the same.
Yeah I read the bit about longer closures.  But considering all I'm hearing about is 3 week closures and the document talked about as a short term closure I didn't think the differentiation is needed.

Also: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?utm_source=reddit.com
Loved that article and simulators.

I'm on board with the closures even if the evidence isn't strong.  As one superintendent said (paraphrasing) "We will never know if we did too much, we'll definitely know if we did too little"

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2020, 09:56:30 PM »
so, asking for a friend... how do you feed your kids if you eat out every night and can't cook at home?

I think you can still do delivery and carry out, can't you?

I also wanted to point you to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OB4D46/
but they are all sold out. holy shit! Ramen is sold out
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
Is the friend:

1. Unknowledgeable about cooking?
2. Missing the equipment to cook?
3. Unmotivated to cook?
4. Other?

#2 is hard because without some basic equipment cooking at home really sucks.  #1 can be solved by reading recipes and youtube videos.  Just look for beginner recipes.  #3 is probably a much bigger conversation.

Roasting veggies isn't hard:
1. Oven to 350 - 400
2. Cut veggies and drizzle olive oil and season with salt and pepper
3. Put in oven for 30 minutes turning once halfway through.  Adjust time based on how done you like things.

That basic recipe can be used for broccoli, carrots, asparagus, potatoes (cut into small pieces), and more.

Meat (beef, chicken, pork) basic recipe:
1. Skillet to medium heat
2. Season meat with salt and pepper (or other seasonings if you have them)
3. When pan is hot add olive oil and let that heat up.
4. Add meat to pan turning every 3-4 minutes (to keep a side from burning) until done.

I'd say about half my dinners are some variant of that.  For kids picky kids I have no idea sorry.

That is a good post. the only thing I would change is cooking meat on olive oil - olive oil should not get very hot, and at least when I cook most meat, I like the temperature pretty high. Use vegetable oil or something like that instead.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2020, 10:00:39 PM »
For the less motivated among us, they sell vegetables in a bag (frozen or fresh) that you can microwave for 5 minutes and my kids actually eat them. They're lower on flavor and you sometimes need to give them an extra minute so they're soft enough for your kids to like, but I've found it to be a great option.

and add a teaspoon of butter - mmmmm

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
I'm thawing out some rainbow trout I got last October and we'll have a fish fry tomorrow. Coupled with some 'slaw.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2020, 11:35:31 PM »
I cook most things on medium or lower heat so olive oil works great for me.  I feel like I get more consistent results that way.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2020, 06:06:46 AM »
Can't sear on medium to low heat...

Two excellent channels for us carnivores.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfE5Cz44GlZVyoaYTHJbuZw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2020, 08:48:25 AM »
Let's not turn this into a food thread.  That said, the medium setting on my range with my pans produce the cooking results I'm happy with.  And for a novice cook I would always recommend a slower but more forgiving process.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2020, 07:40:34 PM »
Looks like the CA Legislature passed an emergency funding bill for schools.  They are shifting the attendance date for the second half of the year from mid April to end of February if the school closed in terms with the executive order.  It also says the intent is that schools pays their employees and contractors as would if they hadn't closed.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
my wife's job gave everyone an additional 80 hours of PTO - whether they need it during this time or not.