Author Topic: star wars 7 [here be spoilers!]  (Read 4360 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
star wars 7 [here be spoilers!]
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »
I was never an over the top fan of star wars but enjoyed all of the 6 movies. I was anticipating episode 7, and it did not disappoint. I think JJ did an awesome job revitalizing the franchise. I think that most of the main characters are played by relatively new actors, at least I didn't know them - but I think they did a pretty decent job. Movie was fast paced and the story built pretty well. It had some of the same feeling episodes 4-6 - especially of giving the feeling of how big and overpowering the first order is.  Script was good too - considering how bad it was for eps 1-3.

SPOILERS BELOW:

My biggest beef with the movie is the character of Fin. Fin's transformation was way too fast for my taste. It is his "first" battle and he can't do it, and within minutes decides to run away from it all, even after being trained and brainwashed by the first order from a very early stage - yet he then tells the resistance that "they don't know what he has seen". What could he have seen being in maintenance? also, being in maintenance, he had pretty good sword fighting skills. Even though he does lose to Ren eventually, I would expect it to not even be a contest. Ray's skills are more believable; perhaps she had some training with the staff she carried and, after all, she has the force.

What did you think of the death of Solo? Some people I spoke with thought it happened too fast, but I think it was just right. He gave a nice transition from the old to the new. He passed on the torch. He tried to save the day, but his time is done. Time for new blood - new heroes.

8/10
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:21:20 PM by Mike »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: star wars 7 [here be spoilers!]
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
I saw it on the 17th at like the first showing :D  I love the movie.  It reminded me (in a good way) of the story telling and feel of the originals.  The effects were awesome and didn't feel hooky.  The plot wasn't overly complicated (which I think is a good thing) but did have a couple nice twists.  BB-8 was fucking awesome!  The pacing could have been a little better as it started to feel rushed towards the end.

Regarding Finn (2 n's you pleb): I agree that they didn't flesh his backstory out enough.  Saw some discussions afterwards that really did help explain the characters.  Basically he was the badass of his group by not accepted.  While his squad mates were given nicknames based off their designation he never was.  Losing his friend was the final straw.  When Poe gave him a nickname Finn felt accepted which is what drew him more to Poe.

Regarding Han: I was saddened by his death but it also felt like a big turning point for Kylo Ren.  I liked the tension in the scene as it seemed like it'd play out differently.

Rey was freaking awesome.  Love the continuation of the strong (and hot) leading woman.  I do hope that they don't go with a slutty outfit like Slave Leia (that said I wouldn't mind Daisy Ridley doing another movie where she does :D) nor emotional crippled like Padme became.  It'll be interesting to find out what her linage is.  My favorite fan theory is that she is the granddaughter of Obi-Wan.

Leia: I liked her interactions with Han and the continued leadership role.  I'll be honest in that when they revealed her I didn't instantly recognize her (like Han & Chewie and even Luke) but I think it is because I just haven't seen Carrie Fisher in that many films.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
I'm not reading what you guys wrote yet, because I think I'm going this weekend.  I just wanted to say that we got episodes I-VI over the break.  The kids loved IV-VI and we're watching I-III this week.  :)  So awesome to have them know and watch the movies and they are so into it!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »
GO WATCH IT TONIGHT!

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
I'm not reading what you guys wrote yet, because I think I'm going this weekend.  I just wanted to say that we got episodes I-VI over the break.  The kids loved IV-VI and we're watching I-III this week.  :)  So awesome to have them know and watch the movies and they are so into it!

we want to do that to and have them on reserve at the library but I was thinking about seeing them in chronological order instead of the release order.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:13:45 PM »
Regarding Finn (2 n's you pleb): I agree that they didn't flesh his backstory out enough.  Saw some discussions afterwards that really did help explain the characters.  Basically he was the badass of his group by not accepted.  While his squad mates were given nicknames based off their designation he never was.  Losing his friend was the final straw.  When Poe gave him a nickname Finn felt accepted which is what drew him more to Poe.

I dunno, still not good enough. I mean I kind of get it and his character kind of reminded me of Ezra in Rebels but I wish they filled in the gaps. BTW, we watched a few episodes of season 1 of rebels. my kids really enjoyed it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:20:13 PM »
I agree.  I kinda hope they do some movies or TV shows for the 30 years in between.  Explain how the first order got setup and how they trained their troopers.  I do wonder what direction they are going with Finn because most of the movie was going in one direction and then they changed it right towards the end.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »
Watched it twice.  Liked it better the second time.  Wife and mom enjoyed it immensely.  8.5/10.

Just remember how many years that JJ and the writers have to deal with in just two hours. 

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »
[spoiler-ish]

We watched it over the break and also really enjoyed it. It was great for what it was. I really liked all the new characters and how they interacted. It was probably too much like Episode IV, but that's fine. I thought the whole time that Finn might have some ability with the Force as well, which would be cool. I would really prefer that Rey was not anybody's daughter or granddaughter.

Overall, a great continuation of the franchise. :thumbsup: I guess 8/10 but one of those points is probably due to meeting expectations and not fucking up the movie.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »
Did Ren sneeze on Rey while she was being interrogated and that's how she caught the force?

she's always had it! the force is all around her :)

I think it is the lineage.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
It felt like this weird reboot-sequel hybrid

Yep, agreed. Thought it sucked horribly. Definitely no more than 5/10.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »

Yep, agreed.

but I think that, it is part of the point. Luke's story was similar to anakin's story and now, most likely, ray's story will be the same again - at least it started that way.

We saw the first six episodes with the kids over the past 3 weeks. Even my wife got into it!!! and she was very skeptical at first. And today we took the kids to see ep7. They all liked it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 12:14:37 AM »

Yep, agreed. Thought it sucked horribly. Definitely no more than 5/10.
You are free to have your wrong opinion.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 01:23:14 AM »
I mean, I gave it an extra point in part because it was a fun callback to the original trilogy.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
I know, I know... late to the game.  Saw this on Saturday and we'd give it a 9/10.  I thought the casting was good except for that stupid ginger fuck that was one of the First Order generals or whatever.  He was terrible.  Questions that I have after watching:

1) Who was the old guy that had the missing piece to where Luke was? 
2) Was he watching over Rey?
3) Who are Finn's parents?  Any chance he was the grandson of Mace Windu or Lando Calrissian?
4) Why did Han name his son Ben?  After Obiwan?
5) Who is Snoke and where did he come from?  Is he really that big or is he projecting himself to be that big?
6) They've destroyed 3 'death stars' at this point... are they just going to keep building bigger ones?  Will Kylo have to work a second job to pay for it?

I have others but I can't think of them at the moment.  My wife and I were talking for hours after the movie about random stuff.  I loved the little throw backs to the old movies and I think this new trilogy is going to be very interesting.