Author Topic: hateful eight  (Read 1893 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
hateful eight
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:50:02 AM »
This is another movie I have been really waiting for - this, and the Revenant. More than Star Wars. Probably more than any other movie in the last few years.

With all that said, I left the movie with mixed emotions. The scenery and camera work was pretty great. The overall story was also great. My biggest issue was the script and/or the acting. I'm not sure if it was the script that was weak (at points) and the actors had not much to work with, or if the actors sucked. Or perhaps it was a little bit of both.

The opening chapters in the stage coach, the dialogue is just meh. Even the first interaction between the characters is meh. At first I though Sam Jackson is just weak, but in the lodge scenes he does great. So I don't know. Also, Kurt Russel definitely looked the part - but when he opened his mouth he was not convincing. I was hoping that the acting was more like in "True Grit" - but then again, Russel is not a very good actor to begin with.

The second half of the movie felt better to me than the first.

As I am typing this I'm coming to the conclusion that this movie is more like a play - and perhaps it would do better as a play than a movie. It practically has just two sets: the coach, and the Haberdashery.

In conclusion, I need to see this motherfucker again.

It did keep me pretty entertained throughout even though it is 95% dialogue. 7/10

Tim Roth's acting was good. So was that guy's from Justified - I don't know his name.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: hateful eight
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »
looks like this reviewer feels a lot like me

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-hateful-eight-review-quentin-tarantino-2015-12

By the way, I didn't realize the movie was 3 fucking hours. I thought two, maybe two fifteen - but not three! holy cow.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
I went with a buddy and we came out with the same review.  (M. Kelly FYI Obes)

Boo.  Pretty at times but just boo.

5/10

Quentin is to me a hit and miss kind of director.  When he hits he hits big.  When he whiffs same goes.

It was an add for Sam Jackson's mouth and clever dialog that....wasn't.  Brutal and unnecessary, even given the setting, physical abuse to the female character.  Unwarranted splatterfest violence and spew to the point that it was just inane.  Most of the characters remained nothing short of empty.  They wasted the most interesting character in the entire movie, by doing almost nothing with her.  Numerous scenes showing modern day fences, ranch houses, and neatly groomed snow trails, the 8 in the title means it is his 8th movie.  I could go on but meh you get my drift.

Watch with caution and be warned, that twist you are waiting for?  Nope. Ending was a total BS cheat.

I thought it was a stinker.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »
But but but....I want to love this movie!!!

As far as the violence: your opinions are not fair. You should expect this level of blood when you go see a Quentin movie.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:09:35 AM »
I wanted to like it too!!!

I disagree about the violence shown in 8.  This is supposed to be a live action anime like Kill Bill, it was supposed to be a hard hitting western harking back to the days of the best of the genre.  I went in expecting violence of course.  This film made it either cruel and degrading to the point of distasteful and or immersion breaking gag reel stuff.   No pun intended.